Lessons learned...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I learned two interesting things this past week - hopefully learned more than just two things, LOL, but these two are the biggest ones that stand out in my mind.

1) Regarding tube feeding calves. I asked my vet if it were true, as some folks say, that the special tubers with the ball on the end are very safe as it's nearly impossible to put them down the wrong way. His response? "Oh no, some folks find it extremely easy!" :shock:

Not that I've ever drowned a calf or even come close, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :lol: ;-)

2) Palpating heifers. I'd heard once heifers need to be about 600lbs before you can palpate them. I picked up three new heifers yesterday and managed to get a vet appointment before the clinics closed. Weight tape last night put them at 325, 389, and 505lbs. The two biggest ones were able to be palpated to determine they were not freemartins (and they checked out OK), the 325lb calf was a little too small for the vet to palpate. I think if I really knew what I was feeling for, my hand is small enough I could have done it, but I'm not that confident in my own ability. LOL. But anyhow...they sure don't have to be 600lbs to palpate.

Latest posts