lepto vacc

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i maybe getting a few reg beefmaster cows in a couple of weeks.an i was talking to a breeder i trust.an he said all they need is leto vacc an worming.all i was going todo was worm them.the way he talked thats all he did to his herd.

I would vaccine for whatever your vet recommends in your area. Unfortunately, diseases don't know the difference between a registered cow or a commercial herd and attack bovine period.

And no, I would vaccinate for it all..... just so I know its been done........ Virashield 6 with VL5 and Covexin 8 and worming. If they are due to calve within 8 weeks then they get an E-coli shot as well.

cowboyup216":3ejxfw1f said:
I also use Virashield 6 VL5 it takes care of IBR, BVD, BRSV, PI-3, 5 way lepto, and vibrio. Also if they havent had one I also give em ultrabac 7 way clostridial. When I dont use virashield 6 i use another killed vaccine called Respishield 4 and then buy and use staybred vl5 with it. I like the vaccines I mentioned the respishield 4 and the staybred vl5 I think are cheaper than the Virashield 6 but I like the Virashield 6 vl5 better cuz it is one shot. You should deworm them to. Also if these calves are under 11 months old i would see if they have been bangs vaccinated? If they havent get em vaccinated before you pick em up. If they are older cows and havent been bangs vaccinated you could take a chance and buying em and pray they dont have bangs.
had bangs once in the dairy herd.an it took 2 clean tests to fix the problem.iwas shocked when he said all he would do is lepto an worm.he has been raising cattle 40yrs an i guess he hasnt had no probs.then again i havent had probs an i dont vacc for anything.

Again, I would repeat - check with a vet in YOUR area & find out what they recommend.
Lepto is only ONE of the many abortion disease.
And if you give them Lepto, they need a booster shot within so many weeks (check the label) to be effective.
Also, MOST vaccines (even MLV) need a booster for at least the BRSV & Lepto. EVERY vaccine is different, you need to read labels.
I would NEVER go without vaccinating Lepto twice a year (after initial booster) and IBR, PI3, BRSV & BVD, Clostridials & Pasteurella, plus deworm twice a year.
Many old farmers say they don't vaccinate & don't have a problem - but may have unexplained losses.
Prevention is real cheap. Abort one calf & it MORE than pays for the vaccines. Or have one get sick & have to treat with some of the expensive antibiotics.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":26arr67c said:
Again, I would repeat - check with a vet in YOUR area & find out what they recommend.
Lepto is only ONE of the many abortion disease.
And if you give them Lepto, they need a booster shot within so many weeks (check the label) to be effective.
Also, MOST vaccines (even MLV) need a booster for at least the BRSV & Lepto. EVERY vaccine is different, you need to read labels.
I would NEVER go without vaccinating Lepto twice a year (after initial booster) and IBR, PI3, BRSV & BVD, Clostridials & Pasteurella, plus deworm twice a year.
Many old farmers say they don't vaccinate & don't have a problem - but may have unexplained losses.
Prevention is real cheap. Abort one calf & it MORE than pays for the vaccines. Or have one get sick & have to treat with some of the expensive antibiotics.
thanks all for the info.i know that they will be wormed regularely.will talk to my vet before i jump in a see what he says.he will probly tell me to krrp doing what im doing.since i dont have to buy any meds.an rarely doctor a sick cow.because the cows dont get sick.

Bigbull338,
Where are you located in Texas? Where did you find the beefmaster cattle?

stelg":2c2t070u said:
Bigbull338,
Where are you located in Texas? Where did you find the beefmaster cattle?
im in north east tx close to sulphur springs tx.i found the cattle in waco in the beefmaster cowman.they was bred cows.their agws was 2 3yr olds 1 6 1 9 1 10 1 11 long age cows.they didnt fitt what i was looking for.im going to go into the seedstock end of the beefmasters.keeping an raising the very best of the bulls an heifers.an selling them when they get a certain age.

If your vet recommends not to vaccinate after adding new cattle to your herd - I'd be looking for a different vet.
Healthy cattle mixed with healthy cattle from a different farm is the best way to get SICK CATTLE. But, I've seen/treated sick cattle, so mine must not be as healthy as yours.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":117bzy0l said:
If your vet recommends not to vaccinate after adding new cattle to your herd - I'd be looking for a different vet.
Healthy cattle mixed with healthy cattle from a different farm is the best way to get SICK CATTLE. But, I've seen/treated sick cattle, so mine must not be as healthy as yours.
i trust this vet.have done business with him since he started his practice.an grew up with him as well.i may not like what he says.but i do trust him.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1h8e4a4z said:
Let us know what he recommends.
will do but i wont talk to him till i know im getting the cattle.no need in wasting his or my time.

Latest posts