LENT

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
now we are into the second week of LENT, has anyone slipped up on their commitment to abstain from what they said they would give up....or do you not do LENT??????

A Priest was going through a cafeteria line. No fish to be found in selections. Determined to have some meat, he selected a slice of glazed ham. The other Priest with him was shocked by this menial sin.

Then the "ham" Priest said as he looked on his tray:

Making the sign of the Cross, he said, "Once a Ham, Now a Fish"...

We're Southern Baptists, we definitely do not lent. We eat everything in sight at every opportunity. :D

Susie has had us on a diet since the first of the year so Lenten eating isn't any different than any other
day without all the goodies. Anyway the Church has all sorts of bypasses for us senior citizens. DMc

Seems kind of ironic that the church would say for single people not to have sex for 30 days when the bible says sex before marriage is wrong. Used to do lent and then realized I'd never come across anything in the Bible about it so didn't see much of a reason to it.

Anguscollegekid":1zpycbt4 said:
Used to do lent and then realized I'd never come across anything in the Bible about it so didn't see much of a reason to it.
Hmmm... true but, the same could be said of celebrating Christmas . I admire your knowledge of the Bible .

Larry

chrisy":2or51m5k said:
now we are into the second week of LENT, has anyone slipped up on their commitment to abstain from what they said they would give up....or do you not do LENT??????

Chrisy....Friday morning my wife cooked breakfast.....without thinking she cooked fresh sausage...We both ate it. :oops: Will have to go to confession I'm afraid.

For my protestant friends that do not celebrate lent:

Lent, in most Christian denominations, is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter.[1] The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where, according to the Bible, he endured temptation by Satan.[2] Different churches calculate the forty days differently.

The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Give it a try sometimes. You'll enjoy it. But then the above definition from Wikipedia mentions Easter and that's not in the bible either. oops...... :lol:

oops...I keep forgetting the KJV. (The only bible) As my baptist buddy says "it was good enough for Peter and Paul it's good enough for me". ;-) ;-) Hope everyone has a wonderful lenten season AND Easter.