Left over money

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
What do you do with your money after you pay all your bills? I mean if you sell your calf crop in sept. and you have money left to last the rest of the year.
Last year I just left my money in my checking account . I at least want to get a little interest . Maybe a CD or two -- any thoughts?

denoginnizer":104jycna said:
What do you do with your money after you pay all your bills? I mean if you sell your calf crop in sept. and you have money left to last the rest of the year.
Last year I just left my money in my checking account . I at least want to get a little interest . Maybe a CD or two -- any thoughts?
if your money is used to buy fertalizer minerals salt an repairs for the farm.id leave it in my bank account because you have farm bills to pay every month.not just 2 or 3 times a year.or when your cd matures.

denoginnizer":1hv7yp37 said:

When we sold cattle a couple of years ago, we put the money in a savings account, thinking we'd need it to replace the cows. Now that we've pretty well decided that we won't buy more cows, we've put it in fairly short term CDs. I keep thinking the interest rate is going up, so don't want to put it in anything long term. There are some really good CD interest rates available on the net. Be sure they're FDIC insured, though.

We've also "borrowed" some of it and payed ourselves back rather than the bank. That saved us some interest.

Beefy":19mw8ukz said:
leftover money... you guys and gals crack me up!

Thats what I was thinking!

If I did have alot of extra money left over, not needed for anything on the farm, or the kids, or the animals, etc.. I might put it in a money market fund.

Gail

Green Creek":f2zqa4w3 said:
Right now a money market account is paying almost as much as a short term CD and it is available when you want it.

But it's not FDIC insured.

Look at http://www.emigrantdirect.com they have really good rates and you don't have to put it in a cd to get them. I don't know what cd's are bringing right now but I think 5.05% is pretty good at this point in time for a savings account.

I stick mine in variable length CD's depending on how long it will be before I expect to need it. If I come up with something I need before it matures I can always cash it in or borrow money on my signature and use the CD as collateral hence getting a better rate of interest on the loan.

Frankie":pawqxr75 said:
Green Creek":pawqxr75 said:
Right now a money market account is paying almost as much as a short term CD and it is available when you want it.

But it's not FDIC insured.

Wrong Frankie:

http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/ ... ciorn.html

There different types of "Money Market" accounts..............

"FDIC-Insured

1-Checking Accounts (including money market deposit accounts)

2-Savings Accounts (including passbook accounts)

3-Certificates of Deposit

4-Retirement Accounts (consisting of cash on deposit at a bank or thrift)"

Latest posts