Left Handed Youth Deer Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
My son and I had a great youth hunt this weekend. He was able to shoot his second deer an 8pt and is still bouncing off the walls with excitement. (pics to follow) With my little girl old enough to hunt next year I get to begin the quest for a step up rifle for my son. He shoots left handed with a TC Encore in 22-250 currently. I cut a wooden stock down for him and it has worked great.

I'm thinking about a 243 as he'll only be 8 and ammo is generally cheap and plentiful. I can't decide whether to buy a barrel for another Encore frame I have or try and find a left handed bolt action youth model. I really don't want a black on black cheap rifle and this is all I can seem to find in a left handed youth model. Any other suggestions?

I would suggest a Savage Model 11 youth. Comes in 243, left handed, and comes with a Nikon scope.
About the best $600 I ever spent buying a Model 11.

sim.-ang.king":ghzld6u5 said:
I would suggest a Savage Model 11 youth. Comes in 243, left handed, and comes with a Nikon scope.
About the best $600 I ever spent buying a Model 11.

Ditto that. Great Value for the money and super accurate!!!

I would look at the 7mm 08. I like the performance of it over the 243. It has the same recoil as the 243 also.

shaneb":1fob6exi said:
I would look at the 7mm 08. I like the performance of it over the 243. It has the same recoil as the 243 also.

7MM-08 was actually my preference but I was concerned about ammo availability as I don't reload. I don't believe there is that much of a price difference between 243 and 7MM-08 ammo.

I have a Remington 7mm-08 youth model and have not had any issue on finding ammo in SW IA and NW MO.

shaneb":2uqckdwo said:

No it does not!!!! 243 shoots a 100gr bullet. 7-08 shoots a 140gr bullet out of the same case..........the recoil is not the same.