leaves??

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
Of coarse we have alot of oak/red oak leaves. I was thinking of putting some tilled in the garden then cover in leaves again and then cover with tarp until early spring. what are yall's thoughts?

Works well for me. I found it helpful to if you pile them in the garden and mow them with a muclching blade to chop them up some. This will help them break down quicker and is a lot easier to till into the soil.

Shred em alittle if you can, then till them in. Best thing in the world for your soil. Adding a little nitrogen will help them break down quicker, but it's not a must do.

cagle520":252yqdld said:
Of coarse we have alot of oak/red oak leaves. I was thinking of putting some tilled in the garden then cover in leaves again and then cover with tarp until early spring. what are yall's thoughts?

I think I would research this before I got too carried away, I seem to remember reading that oak leaves (not sure about red oak, though) can cause the soil to become acidic.

msscamp":n158anrf said:
cagle520":n158anrf said:

I think I would research this before I got too carried away, I seem to remember reading that oak leaves (not sure about red oak, though) can cause the soil to become acidic.

Decomp of any organic matter can make the soil acidic. If it does, just add lime. Don't use any black walnut leaves, though. They are toxic to anything. Ever notice how little anything grows under a walnut tree?

Latest posts