Least Grebe

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Have these water birds nesting and raising young in my stock tank. They build their nests in the water attached to water weeds. The parents and babies never get out of the water. They are small 4 to 6 oz. I have never seen these birds before , their range goes into south TX. I am in central TX , it seems they have ventured out of their range, Has anyone in Texas seen these birds .? I sit on the dock and watch them, interesting to watch. They have raised 4 young ones and are sitting on the nest again.

Sitting on the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away. Nothing better than that and watching the little birds. I am not familiar with the birds you mention, but from the mental imagine it does sound pleasant and interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVjnBo96Ug

I have what I think is the same bird up at my place by Corsicana. The bird has been there about a month but is alone and I haven't seen any young yet. When I approach she comes out of the cattails and swims rapidly towards the center of the pond.

The bird matches the image of the name you provided. Looked like a duck to me.

Seen them here. Pointy bill tho and a bright yellowish eye. They're lots smaller than a wood duck.
They don't last long here. Bass and gars keep them eaten. I never knew what their real name was.

Latest posts