leasing prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont know of a website but I pay $10/acre. I dont know if thats standard or not. You can't own land that cheap!

You can go to your state land board website, and they will show you what current lease rates are by AUM. It might be higher or lower than the "going rate", but it's a good starting point.

Best bet to get accurate prices for your area is to go to your local extension office

dun

The going rate around for this area is as high as fifty an acre for river bottom, grainfields and such. As low as ten to fifteen in some of the scrub. The higher quality land skyrocketed a few years back when a huge stocker cattle operation expanded into neighboring counties and sucked everything up at around forty to fifty. To whom I am referring generally has on hand at one time upwards of thirty thousand head of calves scattered over three or four counties. Some of yall might even know who I'm talking about. JC Cattle Co. owned by Charles Graham.

The USDA offices in Texas will give you an "range".. nothing specific. I don't know how they operate in your state..

Pasture Rents up 7.3 Percent

U.S. pasture rents increased 7.3 percent for the 2005 grazing year. Pasture cash rents averaged $10.30 per acre, 70 cents higher than the $9.60 per acre in 2004. Pasture cash rents declined 10 cents to $19.00 per acre in the Southeast while the Northeast and Pacific regions were unchanged from a
year earlier. In the Northern Plains and Southern Plains regions, which account for two-thirds of the cash-rented pasture acreage, rental rates were up 1.7 percent and 3.7 percent, respectively. Wisconsin, at $38.00 per acre, continues to lead the Nation with the highest per acre pasture rent.

Thanks for the info,I was just curios about prices in different regions.I can't ever seem to get ahold of an extension agent around here to find out.Thanks again.

We rent a back hayfield to the vet for $7.50 per head per month. Usually july-september. That's everything except minerals.

dun

After reading several posts on the topic of pasture rent I've wondered something. I might as well ask. I see people say they rent this pasture or that pasture for 10 or 15 dollars an acre. My question is do the states you live in not charge real estate taxes? I pay an average of $32.40 per acre per year for real estate taxes to the state. Regardless if it is pasture or row crop farm land or a hay field. Every single acre even the acres under the public road even though it is a public road we own the land under it and we pay the real estate taxes to the center of the road. I pay more to the goverment in taxes per acre then some people pay rent per acre for the year. This seems odd to me. Maybe it depends how worthless the land is if you pay taxes or not. I've seen claims of 2 acres of pasture per cow is that a fair estimate?

somn":495zv77y said:
After reading several posts on the topic of pasture rent I've wondered something. I might as well ask. I see people say they rent this pasture or that pasture for 10 or 15 dollars an acre. My question is do the states you live in not charge real estate taxes? I pay an average of $32.40 per acre per year for real estate taxes to the state. Regardless if it is pasture or row crop farm land or a hay field. Every single acre even the acres under the public road even though it is a public road we own the land under it and we pay the real estate taxes to the center of the road. I pay more to the goverment in taxes per acre then some people pay rent per acre for the year. This seems odd to me. Maybe it depends how worthless the land is if you pay taxes or not. I've seen claims of 2 acres of pasture per cow is that a fair estimate?

Are you averaging your tax bill? Or are taking out for improvements (buildings, irrigation, etc) first to get just the "land taxes"? Just curious as that figure seems high for what I see....

Yes, in Texas we pay taxes, but at a reduced rate because of ag exemptions. The $ we pay to the man covers his taxes and insurance for the year.

mitchwi":rtjmhbvx said:
somn":rtjmhbvx said:

Are you averaging your tax bill? Or are taking out for improvements (buildings, irrigation, etc) first to get just the "land taxes"? Just curious as that figure seems high for what I see....
Bare Land no With no irragation average per acre was off 4 seperate parcels off bare land In Minnesota. My Iowa parcel was $24.90 per acre.

somn":6ho6urdp said:
mitchwi":6ho6urdp said:
somn":6ho6urdp said:

Bare Land no With no irragation average per acre was off 4 seperate parcels off bare land In Minnesota. My Iowa parcel was $24.90 per acre.

Jeez, I see a lot of tax bills during the year (minnesota/wisconsin) I don't know if I've come across any "ag" land paying that much..... usually closer to 1/3 of what you posted.....

I wish I could pay 1/3 of that. But even if I could homestead those acres it still will be more than 1/3. The one parcel I'm able to homestead by law costs me $12.20 per acre. These guys buying land for $4100.00 acre using 1031 exchange money have made our taxes triple. But at $4100.00 an acre the land did triple in value too I guess. Looks good on a balance sheet but in reality it still is only worth so much. It will never return 5% in todays land rental values. I can't understand those guys coming out of the metro area buying farmland then renting it out for less income then they could have got on a cd at a bank. Over time I would think they would have made their capital gains taxes back on a cd long before they would have by buying over valued farmland. I can't imagine them ever selling that land for a profit maybe they can. I guess time will tell.

Latest posts