Leasing Hay Fields

Help Support CattleToday:

JonesyWales

Reaction score
I have about 115 acres of hay fields. I know nothing about hay production so I am considering finding someone to lease out the fields. I have heard many different scenarios involving hay field leases. I am interested in having someone come and irrigate, cut, rake, and bale (typically get two cuts a year). I have heard that some people will do this deal for a split (50/50, 60/40, etc) of the hay that is baled. I am told my fields produce about 6 tons/acre after two cuts and 40-50% of the production would be plenty for my needs. Does anyone have any advice about these type of deals? Is it better to do a deal by the bale (round)? I have also heard that I may have to irrigate myself (hand lines) and then find someone to come and do the rest. The ranch still has all of the equipment necessary for production, but like I said, I know nothing about hay fields. So, my next question is, should I attempt to learn and do it all myself and sell the hay I don't need? Is there a good source of info (book, website, etc.) out there that could help me along? I think I would prefer to do a deal, as I won't have a whole lot of time to do the haying myself. Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

JonesyWales":2s6v9f9g said:
I have about 115 acres of hay fields. I know nothing about hay production so I am considering finding someone to lease out the fields. I have heard many different scenarios involving hay field leases. I am interested in having someone come and irrigate, cut, rake, and bale (typically get two cuts a year). I have heard that some people will do this deal for a split (50/50, 60/40, etc) of the hay that is baled. I am told my fields produce about 6 tons/acre after two cuts and 40-50% of the production would be plenty for my needs. Does anyone have any advice about these type of deals? Is it better to do a deal by the bale (round)? I have also heard that I may have to irrigate myself (hand lines) and then find someone to come and do the rest. The ranch still has all of the equipment necessary for production, but like I said, I know nothing about hay fields. So, my next question is, should I attempt to learn and do it all myself and sell the hay I don't need? Is there a good source of info (book, website, etc.) out there that could help me along? I think I would prefer to do a deal, as I won't have a whole lot of time to do the haying myself. Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

I wouldn't. I know of no one here that custom bales on halves anymore most have a twenty roll minimum and twenty dollars a roll if you can get someone. There is a shortage of custom balers in our area. Another option have a custom operator bale your fields and sell your surplus. A lot would depend on the supply and demand in your area.

We get our baling done for $9.00 per bale, no minimum, or split 60% them - 40% for me. That's for corn stalks, wheat straw, and hay. I have seen it as high as $11.00 per bale too. If they rake it is extra, and the guy charges per acre, don't know the price on that as I like a little sun to get that "farmer tan" well developed so I usually go rake.

Where are you? I have a few neighbors who do custom baling for folks, mostly rich city folks who only want to keep their ag exemption on the land. they couldnt give a flip about the hay, so the balers keep (and sell) all the hay themselves.

I have a couple of places that other's own that I bale every year. I do all fertilize, weeding, etc., I get all the hay, the only thing the land owner gets is the ag. exemption.

I know of several people here in Texas that custom bale for halves if the place is big enough and the grass is good.

I charge by the bale or take half. I bale small 60 lb bales and charge $1.30 to $1.50.

Our people charge us $18.00 per bale to cut, rake, and bale the large roung bales. We pay for the weed control (if needed) and fertilizer. God does the irrigation for us.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Hopefully I will be able to get someone to charge per bale or take a percentage. I am located up in British Columbia and there are a few people in the valley that do custom baling, but all seem to be quite busy. I will keep looking!

Latest posts