leasing a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

KHereford

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been talked about but I cant get my search to work so I will ask again, how much, or how do you figure leasing a bull? We have always rented or leased bulls out to guys around us with only a handful of commercial cows and said $20 a cow. Now I'm trying to lease a bull from a breeder for my registered cows and neither one of us knows what to charge. We both think we are in the ballpark at the $20 a head charge so as long as we are both happy that is all that counts. Just wondered if some one else has a different way of doing it. This is going to be a little different since the bull is 6 hours away and in another state so he will have to be tested for trich at least before he gets hear. And then there's the hauling cost. Just thinking out loud now. What do you think?

longhornlover3498":3pwbxxq4 said:
we charge $250 for 2 months for our black maximizer bulls. $100 for delivery in side of state and $150 for out of state.

How do you even think about making any money on them. Even if you leased them for 2 seasons a year all you are doing is paying the feed bill for the other 8 months!

3waycross":wirv37j7 said:
longhornlover3498":wirv37j7 said:
we charge $250 for 2 months for our black maximizer bulls. $100 for delivery in side of state and $150 for out of state.

How do you even think about making any money on them. Even if you leased them for 2 seasons a year all you are doing is paying the feed bill for the other 8 months!
Not if he leases them during the times he's not using them.

hooknline":c12drycu said:
3waycross":c12drycu said:
longhornlover3498":c12drycu said:

To whom? Those folks who calve in the middle of the summer and the middle of the winter?

Plenty of folks calve April, may, October November.
Since he hasn't said where he is, or when he calves, or when he leases.........

3waycross":ve5uclru said:
hooknline":ve5uclru said:
3waycross":ve5uclru said:

To whom? Those folks who calve in the middle of the summer and the middle of the winter?
Location Montana, turns bulls out in July, haven't figured out if poster is male or female. Names his/hers cows so u never know :)

The guy is fourteen years old, could you explain everything on the farm at that age?

On the Superior and other Video lease auctions most the bulls go for between $800 and $1500 for the lease of the bull for the breeding season- depending on differing quality of the bull and demand (didn't watch any this year, so probably higher)...They deliver the bulls and pick back up after the breeding season ends....

Anyone lease bulls in Florida? Marion County area? I know someone that needs to get a small handful of cows bred. Only one I know of that leases bulls is rather expensive and only has Herefords. Prefer Angus/Brangus or any continental breed. Thanks!

KHereford":3ldbh69m said:
I'm sure this has been talked about but I cant get my search to work so I will ask again, how much, or how do you figure leasing a bull? We have always rented or leased bulls out to guys around us with only a handful of commercial cows and said $20 a cow. Now I'm trying to lease a bull from a breeder for my registered cows and neither one of us knows what to charge. We both think we are in the ballpark at the $20 a head charge so as long as we are both happy that is all that counts. Just wondered if some one else has a different way of doing it. This is going to be a little different since the bull is 6 hours away and in another state so he will have to be tested for trich at least before he gets hear. And then there's the hauling cost. Just thinking out loud now. What do you think?

The only time I leased a bull, my first year with five heifers, $25 a head, I kept his weight on and back in "as like condition". Had him for four months and the calves were 100 lber's. Last time I'll ever lease a bull even if it only cost me $125. Buy or breed.

Alan

I should add in your case, out of state and test involve, all expenses is on you, you can deliver or pick up if you want.

Alan

ANAZAZI":11vn0nu6 said:
The guy is fourteen years old, could you explain everything on the farm at that age?
first of all the guy is in fact is a girl and knows more about cows than any boy at her school and also it's not really a buisness it's a hobby that brings a few bucks now and then. and also CAN explain just about everthing that goes on on our ranch. so there :)

Last time my neighbor and I rented a bull 6 or 7 years ago it was $600. for the season, delivered in June and picked up in Aug or Sept. This was from an operation that has done this for years. You need a reservation in early to get one. Probably significantly higher $$ now.

I don't see how the number of cows serviced has much to do with the cost of renting out a bull. It costs the same whether there are 2 cows or 20. fwiw.

Jim

SRBeef":3us5apah said:
Last time my neighbor and I rented a bull 6 or 7 years ago it was $600. for the season, delivered in June and picked up in Aug or Sept. This was from an operation that has done this for years. You need a reservation in early to get one. Probably significantly higher $$ now.

I don't see how the number of cows serviced has much to do with the cost of renting out a bull. It costs the same whether there are 2 cows or 20. fwiw.

Jim

It has a lot to do with what the bull looks like at the end of the summer and if the herd health is not up to par and he has to breed em more than once it's more wear and tear on him!

Around here it is 500.00 for 60 days and that is on 25 head of momma cows maximum. I would say your 20.00 per head is accurate. That is usually a decent Angus or Herf bull.

Latest posts