Lease Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice on approaching somebody about leasing their place. I drive by a nice place on my way to work everyday about 10 miles down the road from my house. The place used to have cows on it, but they havnt had anything on it since last year(looks like they sold out during drought). I know the people who own it are an older couple and if they have no plans of getting back in the cattle business I'd like to hit them up to lease it as I am young and looking to expand my operation(I'm 24). I have degree in Ag. and other leases as references but they are all people I knew already. My plan was just to stop by one day on my way home and introduce myself and express my interest and see if it's something they had ever considered and see what they had to say. Just wondering if that's a good approach or if anyone had any better ideas.

Thats pretty much how I do it . As long as they like you . You should have as good a chance as anyone .

JSCATTLE":1emm2r7l said:
Thats pretty much how I do it . As long as they like you . You should have as good a chance as anyone .

pretty much what i would do too. make sure you get the arrangements on paper.

Older people are kinda funny about folks dropping by unannounced. See if they have a phone number that you can call to set up a time or mail em a letter. Its just a matter of respect. Try it this way, I have leased many properties in the past, that other people couldnt get just by showing this little sign of respect. Good luck to you

houstoncutter":kxz9jjt2 said:
Older people are kinda funny about folks dropping by unannounced. See if they have a phone number that you can call to set up a time or mail em a letter. Its just a matter of respect. Try it this way, I have leased many properties in the past, that other people couldnt get just by showing this little sign of respect. Good luck to you
I like to talk to people in person . I guess it's just a preference but I've had better luck that way . I know I don't hire people over the phone because I like to look at them and see what kind of person they are .

when you stop by just say i notice that your no longer running cows on your place.an i was wondering if you would let me lease your place.

I also stop and ask people if they would like to lease there land all the time.. I want to lease for raising beans and corn and only resistance i have had was with spraying chemicals. The worst they can say is NO.

Ya that's kind of what I was thinking, worst they can say is No. I'd like to do it in person since I'm not sure of the address or phone number, plus I've always prefered looking somebody in the eye with a firm handshake over talking on the phone. Thanks for the words of wisdom everybody, I'll try to stop by sometime within the next week when I'm not getting off work so late.

GRTiger85
I have also found that older people dont like there land sitting there when they use to farm it.They like to see animals walking around as if they were still farming you got a good shot.

No fellas you misunderstood my comment. You need to call or send a letter to set up a time to come by and talk to them about leasing there property. Of course if you want to drop by unannounced go right ahead. My way you are showing respect, but manners have been disappearing in this country for many years

Houston we understood what you were saying.. some of us just disagree.. but atleast in my part of the woods.. The older people want to see a face to put with a name and look at you in the eye while you talk to them. IMO I think a letter or a phone call is rude. I personally would rather someone come ask me than send a letter or a phone call. I mean you are asking to do business... I personally would rather do business with someone face to face.

I understand Houston's concern but I find it easier for people to ignore a letter or call. But a person standing there with their hat in their hand politely introducing themself is tough to ignore. Give consideration to the day of the week and time of day that you stop in. Also be observent of their place. If there is anything that stands out which can help start a conversation about them and what their intersts are will help you.
If they do say no. Come prepared with your name and number written down to give them and tell them if they change their mind to give you a call. And politely leave. You will be surprised how many calls you will get in a day or two.

Dave":22i4l12g said:
I understand Houston's concern but I find it easier for people to ignore a letter or call. But a person standing there with their hat in their hand politely introducing themself is tough to ignore. Give consideration to the day of the week and time of day that you stop in. Also be observent of their place. If there is anything that stands out which can help start a conversation about them and what their intersts are will help you.
If they do say no. Come prepared with your name and number written down to give them and tell them if they change their mind to give you a call. And politely leave. You will be surprised how many calls you will get in a day or two.

Well said Dave

U show up at my place uninvited , without having the manners to set up time to talk u will be treated like a door to door salesman . A oil company or sesmic company wants to do work on your property do they show at ur door uninvited ? Nope..... Why not.... It's bad manners...... This young man trying to get the lease is here in Texas.... Many of us old heads here in Texas still take manners seriously

houstoncutter":3u3vbho9 said:
U show up at my place uninvited , without having the manners to set up time to talk u will be treated like a door to door salesman . A oil company or sesmic company wants to do work on your property do they show at ur door uninvited ? Nope..... Why not.... It's bad manners...... This young man trying to get the lease is here in Texas.... Many of us old heads here in Texas still take manners seriously

I guess Virginia still believes in southern hospitality and there is no such thing as a stranger. I personally have a gate up at the entrance to my property now to keep all the bible thumpers out they run rampid here.. before If anyone wanted to come talk to me about farming I welcome them with open arms. I have had plenty of " Strangers " that have stopped by my farm and asked could there son/daughter look at my equipment or animals I love it I just wish I didn't have to put a gate up to keep the unwanted people out. I am not a old timer im 32 so I guess im not old and disgruntled yet.

houstoncutter":2wp30fet said:

in that case you'd better get a formal introduction........ :lol2: :lol2:

My mentor of sorts is the one who told me to go in person . He is 76 years old . He believes as I do it's better to look the person in the eyes and talk to them face to face . I guess it just depends on who you run into .

JSCattle, I am not talking about doing the deal over the phone or in a letter , of course that would be done in person. Lol ... Maybe my parents were different from yours, but things they always said were..... Don't call after 9:00 and don't drop by uninvited!

houstoncutter":15c7xccs said:

Sure must be different down there than it is here. A knock at the door with smile and a firm handshake is always welcome around here.

slick4591":3icw5ke4 said:
houstoncutter":3icw5ke4 said:

Sure must be different down there than it is here. A knock at the door with smile and a firm handshake is always welcome around here.

same here slick... I am glad there is still people left in this world like you slick.

Latest posts