Lawnsweeper

Help Support CattleToday:

Check with the U of MO at Columbia or your local herbicide dealer. There is a herbicide, not roundup, that's approved in MO for preventing fescue from going to seed. It was approved about 3-4 years ago.

dun

Any idea on the name of the stuff? Mostly curiosity, as I think it would be tough to find something that would actually pay for itself. I'm thinking you would get more graze, but I wonder if it would also effect endophyte levels?

When I was a kid my buddy's aunt had her whole lawn covered with concrete. She hired the two of us to paint it green. Now that is my idea of a nice lawn. Stays green all year and it never needs to be mowed or watered. Weeds weren't much of a problem either. The part that was supposed to be the driveway we left unpainted. That way people knew where to park their cars.

Some might have considered her a bit strange but she paid good so I never complained.

Dave

Dave":opffvxu0 said:
When I was a kid my buddy's aunt had her whole lawn covered with concrete. She hired the two of us to paint it green. Now that is my idea of a nice lawn. Stays green all year and it never needs to be mowed or watered. Weeds weren't much of a problem either. The part that was supposed to be the driveway we left unpainted. That way people knew where to park their cars.

Some might have considered her a bit strange but she paid good so I never complained.

Dave
Had a neigbor do that in the early 50's. His taxes got raised because that much concrete was considered a commercial parking lot.

dun

farmhand,

I've never thought of collecting the clippings and give to the animals...I do pears...apples...pumkins to the pets as we go thru the fields in the truck checking on 'em.

Did you get any reactions from the little guys? I might be a little concerned...like Bama...don't know. Since you have done it ...let us know.

unless you have a big yard & only one or two calves, i don't think you will have any problem. i used to keep a load of chopped grass out when pastures got short

I've done this in the past in moderation without any problems. My advice would be to place the clippings well away from the water source, so they are forced to walk a ways for their water, keeping them from parking among the clippings.

Well, my calves are doing fine. Didn't see any adverse effects to what I did. I really felt relieved when Bama thought I could do this every week without causing problems. I do have a large lawn but not the time to throw all of it to them at a time. I was attempting to solve 2 problems with this idea. I needed a way to get rid of some thatch and I want to extend the pasture some. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Latest posts