Lawn pests

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
over the last few years we've watched the grass in my grandmothers backyard thin down to nothing. she used to have a beautiful lawn back there. i had thought that a new tree had been responsible by creating too much shade by blockng the afternoon sun. but the grass just kept dying and dying. nows its moving around the side of the house. i noticed tons of little mounds of dirt where the grass was dead or dying. it looks kind of like a crayfish mound (but not). its like tiny little balls of dirt forming the mound. does anyone know what it is killing the grass. is it the african black beetle? i can find pictures of their dirt mounds.
how do i make them die a slow horrbile death? my aunt and i want to get the grass growing again.

yep, i think thats the culprit. i knew they made grass die in big circles but didnt know they made the mounds.

Mole crickets.

Use Orthene or Talstar. Talstar is my favorite but a little pricey. They are relatively easy to treat. I suggest watering the lawn heavily before application, then apply granule and then water again. Watering brings em up to the surface. Also apply in the evening since they feed mainly at night.

But as usual "read and follow all label and instructions"

i noticed some in the pasture today as well. dont birds eat mole crickets???