Late ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I should stop worrying as she is only 5 days late but she is as big as a house and has had an udder now for a week She is notorious for calving right on her due date, so maybe it's the bull I used as I have never used him before.

hillsdown":38niq785 said:
I guess I should stop worrying as she is only 5 days late but she is as big as a house and has had an udder now for a week She is notorious for calving right on her due date, so maybe it's the bull I used as I have never used him before.

HD that old lady is probably just enjoying all the attention she's getting. ;-)

Shoot - Red Bull - you beat me, I was just going to post my latest one was 15 days & had a heifer (guaranteed AI date - no bull around except for "hubby" :banana: ) but she weighed 120# :shock: big cow - spit her right out.
Had our first live calf Monday - 1st calf heifer 7 days late, we assisted, but was easy pull, she just wouldn't get down to business. Now, waiting on 2 embryos - WERE due 1-17 - bummer!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":xpwcglkt said:
Shoot - Red Bull - you beat me, I was just going to post my latest one was 15 days & had a heifer (guaranteed AI date - no bull around except for "hubby" :banana: ) but she weighed 120# :shock: big cow - spit her right out.
Had our first live calf Monday - 1st calf heifer 7 days late, we assisted, but was easy pull, she just wouldn't get down to business. Now, waiting on 2 embryos - WERE due 1-17 - bummer!
So you just had your first live calf Mon., how many dead ones before you got the live one? :D

Had our first live calf Monday - 1st calf heifer 7 days late,

I wondered how the first one managed to be late - a couple bred ahead of the main season?
Usually I see a couple of rather small calves, two to three weeks ahead of the earliest due date.

ET - my vet has told me of huge calves born to embryo tansfer. Apparently failure to calve when expected is common.

16 days overdue? That I know of - was waiting for two sick cows season before last and I think one went 12 days, one 16 days & both calved on the same day. Small,weak calves. Still got the heifer calf, now a yearling.

Guess I better explain. We had a heifer spit out a dead calf (with placenta intact) 4 weeks premie. The heifer that just calved on Monday was purchased and was due sooner than my herd. We had 2 cows carrying embryos due this past Sunday (which was 1 week ahead of our herd). One of the LATE embryos calved during the nite last nite - YAHOO! HEIFER. Other embryo still waiting.

Well, Amanda calved today around noon, unassisted. A huge heifer calf ,will weight her tomorrow when I tag and tattoo. 11 days late. So far every heifer born has been late and the bulls have been early. She is a beautiful dark cherry red gal, out of JRI fully exposed . :D
I thought for sure it was bull calf though when I went out how big she was. :lol2: Love it when you go out and the calf is already up and drinking right after they are born especially in this cold weather.. :nod:

Now the heifers are ready to start calving this week. Two have udders that tell me anytime now.

We had to be gone all day on Saturday, so Friday night I put 6 head in the barn. Had a bull calf born around 4am. Left the others in barn & had someone check them mid-afternoon. Had another calf - heifer. Got home around 11:30, cleaned pens, doctored latest newborn. Went to bed. About 4:30 2 more went into labor. Heifer had a heifer. Old cow (12 years old) had a set of twins last year on 1-29 (all tangled up but saved both). Yup, another set of twins. 1st one was a heifer, 2nd one was "one leg". So, Ken went in, pushed calf back, got both legs, dead bull calf. Little freemartin & mom are doing great. Couldn't believe she had two sets back to back (even calved 5 days sooner). Great fertile myrtle! :banana:
So we had 5 calves in about 24 hours. That's the way I like it! :banana: :banana:

hillsdown":z73oo6gw said:
Well, Amanda calved today around noon, unassisted. A huge heifer calf ,will weight her tomorrow when I tag and tattoo. 11 days late. So far every heifer born has been late and the bulls have been early. She is a beautiful dark cherry red gal, out of JRI fully exposed . :D
I thought for sure it was bull calf though when I went out how big she was. :lol2: Love it when you go out and the calf is already up and drinking right after they are born especially in this cold weather.. :nod:

Now the heifers are ready to start calving this week. Two have udders that tell me anytime now.

Just did my last check, no one ready yet and the baby still has her toque on.. :D
I will take pics tomorrow of the little beauty.. When I said she is huge I meant she is huge, her bottom end comes up to my bottom end which is at 34 "s.. Will let you in on the weight tomorrow..I sure am really loving my GV`s more and more everyday. :banana:

hillsdown":1un4wc9g said:
Love it when you go out and the calf is already up and drinking right after they are born especially in this cold weather.. :nod:

Must not be watching them close enough. :lol: :p

Scares me everytime I find one getting ready to have her calf. Wonder if this will be the one that breaks the "no calving problems" record. Only thing worse than finding one doing her "calving dance" is finding one standing over a dead calf.

Latest posts