Large Square Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioFarmer87

Reaction score
Hi. We are thinking about switching over to using a large square baler and getting away from round balers. I was curious if anyone has one and if they like it. Are they hard to work on if something breaks on them? Have you found it more beneficial then a round baler? We use most of the hay we make and think this will help with our storage issues more. Any info on these are helpful. Even a brand and model that you have found to be good.

The only opinion I have on them is, they are too rich for my blood. I can't see how for what they cost, that they would ever pay for themselves.

I would not buy a new one. I can get used ones around here for around $20k. Bought the same price for a good used net wrap round baler

OhioFarmer87":3j3ve5sl said:
I would not buy a new one. I can get used ones around here for around $20k. Bought the same price for a good used net wrap round baler

Can't say I've ever seen a used one. Just new ones. 20,000 for a decent square baler would be tempting.

One good thing bout them is the cattle will be getting a square meal.

I would offer one bit of advice--------There is still urgency to get them out of the field when they are baled. Atleast with a hay roll, as long as you get it baled before a rain your alright. With the big squares, you gotta get them out of the field before the rain comes. Other than that, there alright.

Bigfoot":1lvost8k said:
I would offer one bit of advice--------There is still urgency to get them out of the field when they are baled. Atleast with a hay roll, as long as you get it baled before a rain your alright. With the big squares, you gotta get them out of the field before the rain comes. Other than that, there alright.
That's my problem with them. I can't store hardly any hay inside, and often couldn't get it all in before a rain even if I did have enough barn space.

The used ones I have seen advertised for 20K were pretty used up. Need to research the brand and model to see what needs fixin after thousands of bales.

I don't bale any hay but I do buy it and I love those big squares on my truck. So easy to load and tie down for the trip home. Yep the problem I found is storing them outside, they just don't shed the water, it all goes straight in. It is easy to stack them 3 high and next year if I get some I will buy some hay caps for them.
Ken

Thanks for all the info. After reading this sounds like I may need to stick to the plan of a net wrap round baler

Latest posts