Large boned vs moderate boned

Help Support CattleToday:

FB-Maines94

Reaction score
I'm still learning when it comes to cattle. My question is whether or not bone size dramatically affects calving. It seems logical that the larger the bones on the calf, the harder it is on the mama cow. However, I know some cattlemen like big-boned cattle for their ability to put on the pounds.

So big-boned or moderate boned? I don't think small-boned is optimal.

Big bone definitely impacts calving ease. Most mature cows should be able to handle a larger boned calf, but you wouldn't want to breed your heifers that way.

randiliana":2yhp5oy9 said:
Big bone definitely impacts calving ease. Most mature cows should be able to handle a larger boned calf, but you wouldn't want to breed your heifers that way.

Agreed

I have also been taught that big bones matter at the end when sending for meat. You want a beast that has more meat and less bones. Than cattle that are big boned and less meat.

Suzie Q":zfg7vp79 said:
I have also been taught that big bones matter at the end when sending for meat. You want a beast that has more meat and less bones. Than cattle that are big boned and less meat.

Yeah, I agree. The buyer is getting less meat for his money.

concerning big boned cattle, that is why the old style Charolais and old style semmental cattle in this area fell out of favor. They were big boned and they had hard calvings. Nowdays they are breeding them in the direction of moderate bone, and they are starting to make a small comeback.
Agreed on the meat /bone ratio also.
Looks impressive when a big boned animal crosses the scale, but the butcher wants to buy meat not bone and they know the difference.

It seems that no one that posted so far knows the difference between good bone and undesirable bone!?

Good bone is flat as it has a larger surface area for muscle attachment, thus smoother longer muscling over a bigger area. I personally believe that heifer joining weights and nutrition during pregnancy play a bigger part in calving problems than big bones verse small boned theories.
NAFW

Not a Farmers Wife":82c7udyg said:
Good bone is flat as it has a larger surface area for muscle attachment, thus smoother longer muscling over a bigger area. I personally believe that heifer joining weights and nutrition during pregnancy play a bigger part in calving problems than big bones verse small boned theories.
NAFW

:clap:

To elaborate... What you do not want is heavy round bone, that causes problems and also usually lacks bone density. The ideal is a heavy flat dense bone.

Too light a bone and you'll have too light a muscle and will end up with overfat animals that cannot carry their own weight.

The old adage still apply... avoid extremes on either end to avoid ending up in the ditch.

I didn't elaborate to the kind of good bone, mainly because it wasn't asked.

Of course the bone has to be able to carry the meat on the beast otherwise you will end up like what happened with meat chickens. Reach 12 weeks and they are too big to be able to walk.

Charoloais where the ones that were pointed out to me when being taught by the Bazadais people. Bazadais have a much better bone/meat ratio than Charolais.

Latest posts