land size

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
how was your land originally marked out in the U.S.--Here in western canada everything was surveyed in 1/4 sections 160 acres--1/2 mile by 1/2 mile In eastern canada (southern ontario) ,it was laid out in 100 acre farms

carl

Carlos D.":2m7z9cfv said:
how was your land originally marked out in the U.S.--Here in western canada everything was surveyed in 1/4 sections 160 acres--1/2 mile by 1/2 mile In eastern canada (southern ontario) ,it was laid out in 100 acre farms

carl
here in the US its marked off in acres.as well as quarter haf an sections.

The Northwest Territories (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc) were surveyed in sections one mile square. 640 acres. 36 sections in a township. You can look down today from the air and see the grid.

john250":13jjdu8t said:
The Northwest Territories (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc) were surveyed in sections one mile square. 640 acres. 36 sections in a township. You can look down today from the air and see the grid.
yep ---thats exactly the same here

carl

Before our section of Northwestern Ontario was handed to Ontario in 1912, Manitoba surveyed it under the American township system. 640 acres to a section, 36 sections to a township. I can't even begin to understand the British concession system. Give me concession directions and I will never make it to your place.

Here in Va its this tree to this rock thence by so and so s line to another point to a stake all of which disappeared years ago.

Georgia is divided in districts, lots and parcels. Lots are "usually" around 490 acres in our area but can vary depending on where you are in the state. I think to some extent the lot size was dependent on its perceived value at the time of the divisions. With our area being considered worthless and only good for growing gaters - our lots were bigger than some. Sixty years ago the lot across from my house was traded for a shotgun. Everyone thought he had lost his mind to give up a perfectly good shotgun for a lot of land.

Carlos D.":34gcymab said:
john250":34gcymab said:
yep ---thats exactly the same here

carl

George Washington was in charge of the survey, though I think he mostly supervised. I worked with an old surveyor (80+) who had become philosophical about his work. He told me it was an amazing feat, as the stones they set back then are VERY accurately placed, measured against his GPS tools. The old timers worked with chains and sextant and compass and hacked their way through a lot of forested land in this area. It had to be a tough way to make a living.

Latest posts