Lactose Intolerant

Help Support CattleToday:

Lim-flex

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a calf being lactose intolerant? My vet has daignosed a calf as being this. Has anyone else treated one for this problem? Thanks.

How old is the calf? Older animals do become lactose intolerant as they age. I suppose it's possible for a calf to be lactose intolerant just as a child can be lactose intolerant. How was it diagnosed?

Lim-flex":19s5fcug said:
Has anyone heard of a calf being lactose intolerant? My vet has daignosed a calf as being this. Has anyone else treated one for this problem? Thanks.

what did the vet suggest as an alternative feed?

The calf is 4 days old. He was eating fine the first day and then he quit. We have been feeding him with a tube the last couple of days. The vet said he will maybe get to where the milk does not make him sick and go back to eating normally. I hope!

Vet have a lot of experience with large animals?

I'd be inclined to suspect bacterial/viral scours or pneumonia - calf not feeling well - before I'd consider lactose intolerance, JMO.

Is this calf on it's momma or are you feeding it formula?? Lactose intolerance occurs when the enzyme to digest a particular milk sugar is lacking. This milk sugar (lactose) varies between species. For instance human babies drinking cow milk causes some babies problems. What type of milk replacer are you using???
The proteins in different milks varies so much that you can't feed any type of milk to any animal without processing and breaking down the proteins. All this being said, assuming this calf is drinking a good grade of calf milk replacer, or on it's mother, I think you need a new vet.

This calf needs nutrition and fluids. There could be numerous reasons it stopped nursing, all related to illness.

Lim-flex":277ij2mj said:
I am just milking the calfs mother and tube feeding it.

In that case get a new vet!
What is the calfs temp, how does it behave, i.e. vigorous, listless? How does it carry it's ears, up and alert looking or droopy? What does it 's eyes look like, bright anr dull and sunken?

milkmaid":3a34vobq said:

I'd be inclined to suspect bacterial/viral scours or pneumonia - calf not feeling well - before I'd consider lactose intolerance, JMO.

I think Milkmaid is on the right track here . Is your calf tolerating lactose well ? No, he is not, but for the reasons Milkmaid listed . To help calves like this we have to fight the battle on several fronts 1. we must keep the calf hydrated , feed milk at 6:00 and 6:00 give extra fluids at 12:00 and at bedtime . The calf would benefit from IV fluids, can be given under the skin in the neck . 2 . A sytemic antibiotic, something like Baytril + Banamine+ Scour Halt orally . 3. If you've tubed for 2 days I would stop, with the exception of electrolytes . To feed his milk I would cut the end off of a nipple and make him swallow the milk, this will allow you to put a hand full of oatmeal in with his milk . Some pepto bismol about 30 minutes before feeding may help his appetite, about 30 ml .

To answer your question there is a lactose free milk replacer for calves, called Crtical Care . I use it on scouring calves and I like it , Here is a link http://www.akey.com/ruminant/calf_products.htm

Larry

TNMasterBeefProducer":2jhicp2e said:
larryshoat":2jhicp2e said:
milkmaid":2jhicp2e said:

I think Milkmaid is on the right track here . Is your calf tolerating lactose well ? No, he is not, but for the reasons Milkmaid listed . To help calves like this we have to fight the battle on several fronts 1. we must keep the calf hydrated , feed milk at 6:00 and 6:00 give extra fluids at 12:00 and at bedtime . The calf would benefit from IV fluids, can be given under the skin in the neck . 2 . A sytemic antibiotic, something like Baytril + Banamine+ Scour Halt orally . 3. If you've tubed for 2 days I would stop, with the exception of electrolytes . To feed his milk I would cut the end off of a nipple and make him swallow the milk, this will allow you to put a hand full of oatmeal in with his milk . Some pepto bismol about 30 minutes before feeding may help his appetite, about 30 ml .

To answer your question there is a lactose free milk replacer for calves, called Crtical Care . I use it on scouring calves and I like it , Here is a link http://www.akey.com/ruminant/calf_products.htm

Larry

Don't know about calves but oatmeal gives me gas something fierce. Might not be a good idea to give this calf especially if he is pooping his guts out.

For you I would skip the oatmeal and try a little grass hay . Be careful, your wife will probably have a fit if you get it on the floor .

Larry

larryshoat":3iwo5jz3 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3iwo5jz3 said:
Don't know about calves but oatmeal gives me gas something fierce. Might not be a good idea to give this calf especially if he is pooping his guts out.

For you I would skip the oatmeal and try a little grass hay . Be careful, your wife will probably have a fit if you get it on the floor .

Larry

so he must use one of those haysaver hayrings or one of Caustic's haycradles?

Thanks Larry and the others that had helpful advice. As of last night the calf will at least eat from a bottle. Seems to be doing much better. Now I just need to get him to nurse his mother on his own.

Latest posts