lacertions

Help Support CattleToday:

heaflaw

Reaction score
I have a 4 day old calf that was attacked by 2 dogs. My neighbor was able to scare the dogs away but it has several lacerations on it's rump. One is deep enough that I think I am seeing muscle. It is swollen and seems to be weak in one leg. It seems to be getting enough milk. How best to treat it and what about flies?

The calf needs to see a vet - it doesn't sound like you've got the experience to successfully deal with this type of injury. No offense intended - but there are just too many scenarios to go into, and the calf is very young with an undeveloped immune system. He might need to be sewn back together, and he might not - call your vet!

it needs to be treated, sewn up and sprayed for flies. flies here are a big problem on any open sore. call a vet !!!

This happened to me last year with a set of twins. Both calves had deep cuts and tears on the hips. One had a piece of meet the size of your fist missing. If you can not get to a vet, do the following. Clean the would with water and peroxide. Apply neosporin and a screw worm spray. Also treat with a shot of penicillin. I had to treat the worst one for three weeks. Keep an eye on the flies and watch for infection.

Good luck.

CSM

The fastest growing problem on a wound is flies. They can lay eggs and produce maggots before you can blink. Call your vet !!!

Maggots would eat only the dead ragged flesh and actually clean the wound. You are more worried about infection from the bacteria from the flies. I would have called the vet pronto!

heaflaw":1sx2k4co said:
I have a 4 day old calf that was attacked by 2 dogs. My neighbor was able to scare the dogs away but it has several lacerations on it's rump. One is deep enough that I think I am seeing muscle. It is swollen and seems to be weak in one leg. It seems to be getting enough milk. How best to treat it and what about flies?

Well, what have you done and how is it going?

Bez>

1)Put some peroxide in a syringe (with out the needle) and squirt it up in the cuts.

2)Then rince the cuts with water. You can also put the water into the syrenge and squirt it in their also. (If the cuts aren't that deep then just start here.)

3)After that you can apply a blood stop powder if necessary. (Can get it at local feed stores usually.)

4)Then there is a spray that comes in a crown royal blue aerosal can with a white top and it sprays purple. Spray that on the cuts and it will keep flyes and all that stuff from messing with it.

If the cuts are that bad repeat steps 2-4 daily. There is no need to sew or staple anything up. Sewing and stapling is for holding organs in. Maybe give a shot of penicillen if the cuts are that bad.

What I have done so far is peroxided it out and then rubbed neosporin on the cuts twice a day. It seems to be healing well. The swelling has mostly gone away and it is walking normally and nursing.

I used to have some of the spray that Brute 23 talked about but I can't find it anymore in our two local farm supply stores.

I will try to find something like it tommorow and also the screw worm medicine.

heaflaw":2q6xggzs said:
What I have done so far is peroxided it out and then rubbed neosporin on the cuts twice a day. It seems to be healing well. The swelling has mostly gone away and it is walking normally and nursing.

I used to have some of the spray that Brute 23 talked about but I can't find it anymore in our two local farm supply stores.

I will try to find something like it tommorow and also the screw worm medicine.

If you cannot find the spray he talks about ask for Bleu.

I spelled it correctly - there are a ton of knock offs - all do the trick - great wound protection and most of them provide a coat that hardens just a bit if sprayed on fairly thick - keeps the flies away.

Good luck - time to go dog hunting I figure. Kill every one you see - they will keep coming back - and shut up, shut up, shut up - keeps the sue happy folks in the dark and maintains your good relations with the folks down the road.

Bez>

My horse was injured a couple of years ago. I consulted at least 3 different vets. The only thing all of them agreed on was "Do not use hydrogen peroxide unless you are cleaning the initial injury. After that, it destroys new skin growth." Mentioned it to a friend of mine who is an EMT and she said they don't carry it on their rigs anymore for just that reason.

I have made a huge mistake treating the calf. After it looking much better yesterday, I discovered this morning that maggots had eaten a large part of the muscle. There is now a 3 inch X 3 x 3 hole. I found some screw worm medicine and started using it this morning. A half hour after spraying the wound with it, 50 or more maggots were crawling out. I will keep treating & give a shot of penicillin but I really don't see how it can make it.

heaflaw":1tyvbycf said:
I have made a huge mistake treating the calf. After it looking much better yesterday, I discovered this morning that maggots had eaten a large part of the muscle. There is now a 3 inch X 3 x 3 hole. I found some screw worm medicine and started using it this morning. A half hour after spraying the wound with it, 50 or more maggots were crawling out. I will keep treating & give a shot of penicillin but I really don't see how it can make it.

I have had holes in dogs that my fist would fit into, punctured lungs, and have put guts back in. The majority of them survived. ;-)

Make sure to run pleanty of fresh water over the wound regularly. ;-)

Cuts need to be washed out immediatley with fresh water. Then sprayed with something to keep flies away. Then repeat it atleast daily. THose two simple things can prevent alot of infection and will keep the wound clean.

that wound powder "wonder dust " is very good as a cover for the wound. it helps it heal.

Latest posts