Labelling????

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
On CBC Sunday morning the topic of organic food was examined. The report showed that Canada and the US have different regulations reguarding what is organic. This just shows what labelling is worth. While more affulent people tend to read labels, and prefer buying organic, less affulent buy more based on price, than any other factor. So the question has to be is the US consumer addicted to low food prices like a meth addict. And what will it take to get a change in attitude. this leads us to COOL will it really help consumption of US beef domestically, will it increases prices for the primary producer some surveys say yes to the first question but no to the second . Teaching the consumer how to read a label properly is the key. But that is not what COOL is about. COOL is about promoting a product, another marketing scheme it has nothing to do with consumer safety, protecting the US cowherd from disease put simply COOL is an attempt to play on the patriotic feelings of US consumers the problem is the other side of the coin. What will happen when the US consumer decides the domestic product isn't what is wanted as first choice?

scatman........cool is the consumers right to choose.
If your product is better than mine,then I say good, buy canadian,but lets give the consumer the right to choose fairly.............good luck

AngusLimoX":tc75m4qi said:
Cool is a trade tariiff. Nothing more.

ALX

Thats not what the thousands of consumers/consumers groups that lobbied Congress think-- they believe it is a quality and safety issue, especially when our FDA and USDA just got thru telling them and Congress that its impossible for them to inspect or test food products coming from foreign countries.....The governments new "Buyer Beware" policy :roll: :shock: ....And the horror stories of tainted/contaminated foreign food imports keep building....

That leaves the choice of the risk on the consumer and in order to make an informed choice they need honest labeling....

With the amendments to COOL in the US it has been gutted and it's teeth smashed out. Basically it is a joke. R-calfers what is it like being the packers prison biatch. But it did start out as a non tariff trade barrier.

Saskartoon-- funny how you Canucks seem to know all the details to M-COOL when many haven't even been published or decided yet ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand your frustration can cause you to rant and rave...Its tough for you to realize you may not be able to go back to the old status quo of riding on the US cattlemans shirttails, passing off your product as US beef to make it more marketable -- and its natural that your scared you may have to stand on your own two feet in the big scarey business world for the first time in 10+ years..... ;-)

Yeah OT everyone else on here rants and raves but you . :roll: You say how the packers have such a big influence on the goverment and you expect amendments to COOL to make it stronger. Are you touched in the head.
When COOL comes into effect it will finally reveal how much the US beef industry depends on canadian animals for those premium markets.
Why not focus on eliminating the packers ability to repackage canadian beef and leave the CFIA stamp on it , but no it is easier to pass a new law, implement it and enforce it than to simply force the packers to do something so simple.
As for standing on our own 2 feet i have to thank r-calf for one thing by new year canada's kill capacity will be more than we can produce thanks for the economic boost those jobs are really helping push the canadian dollar past the US dollar . Canadian dollar went past .97 today . Good job guys.
By the way OT how is haying going for you guys up here it is bumper crop and i guess i will be selling hay this year. Maybe helping out drought striken cattlemen in the SW of SK. as long as they pay the freight i can do it for cost just to help the guys going thru a tough spell out. Sorry nothing crossing the border though you guys will have to fend for your selves.

skcatlman":2kyi8zoa said:
By the way OT how is haying going for you guys up here it is bumper crop and i guess i will be selling hay this year. Maybe helping out drought striken cattlemen in the SW of SK. as long as they pay the freight i can do it for cost just to help the guys going thru a tough spell out. Sorry nothing crossing the border though you guys will have to fend for your selves.

Oh I think there will be plenty of hay-- even tho the 1st cutting on the river bottom got hailed out- the alfalfa came back good and should be ready to cut anyday....We got a years supply of rain before June which gave us an extraordinary amount of grass and prairie hay...Then because of the continuing drought in other areas of the state- USDA opened CRP to haying...

Saskartoon--must not be many of your neighbors that feel the same way-- cause I know some that sell their entire crop yearly to the States and depend on them-- already see the Canuck trucks heading south...Probably won't be the big currency discounts of a few years back tho- when you could buy Canuck hay for $20 Ton- $30 delivered....

CRP is that the set aside land? producers paid not to produce then allowed to cut it. Now that is a is a sweet deal if you guys have so much hay. Aka - subsidy

skcatlman":2wmk351z said:
CRP is that the set aside land? producers paid not to produce then allowed to cut it. Now that is a is a sweet deal if you guys have so much hay. Aka - subsidy

Actually its a disaster program so the droughted out areas that have no hay can get access to some- since the program allows haying in areas up to 210 miles from the actual drought...We don't qualify right here, but some of the neighboring counties to the west do....Altho it really doesn't concern that big an area when you look at the whole country....

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_Fi ... 070709.pdf

And it is a sweet deal for those old CRP landowners sitting in a Florida condo or on a Phoenix golf course-- they get paid 90% of their government payments, but then can also lease out the land to be hayed or grazed for whatever they can make off it...

Latest posts