LA 200

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
First let me say that LA 200 will work very well for soft tissue issues such as pinkeye, footrot, and a few others.
It seems they must have a very good ad person because almost every newbe, and some not so new, tries it for every sick calf they get. Where do they get the info that it will cure any of the respertory problems that may happen? Is this just the farm supply vet for the day giving the info? Everyone needs some real meds if they expect to have any sick calf. Am I crazy, what do you think?
hooknline, this is not in response to your suggestion as you are correct that it might help in that situation. Just got me to thinking about how many people post and say they gave LA 200 to a very sick calf and it is not getting better.

The main reason people use it is because it's common as dirt at every feed store in the country. No messing with that awkward vet, just buy a jug and use it. Must be good if it's on the shelves.

Oxytetracycline is highly effective against pink eye, works well enough against footrot, is the only real solution to tick borne gallsickness, so there is still a place for it USED CORRECTLY. Usually that means give a short acting one on day one followed up by a long acting on the second day and repeated after 72 hours.

LA200 is just a long acting broad spectrum antibiotic. I understand worse cases of pneumo and other stuff requires a stronger more specific remedy. But things like footrot, navel ill (caught early) pinkeye and such are general strains of bacterial based infections where a general based penn would be a good startying course of action. Especially for someone that is new to things and can run out and get it from darn near any feed store or chain feed store. And don't worry KT, I didn't take it personal

hooknline":2fb2l2q5 said:
LA200 is just a long acting broad spectrum antibiotic. I understand worse cases of pneumo and other stuff requires a stronger more specific remedy. But things like footrot, navel ill (caught early) pinkeye and such are general strains of bacterial based infections where a general based penn would be a good startying course of action. Especially for someone that is new to things and can run out and get it from darn near any feed store or chain feed store. And don't worry KT, I didn't take it personal

LA 200 is a 200mg oxytetracycline and NOT a penicilin.

Angus Cowman":10nwsx3z said:
Why hassle with giving an animal multiple shots of La 200 for footrot and prolonging the stress when 1 shot of Micotil will work and you are done with it

I've never had to give more than 1 for footrot, but when it comes to gallsickness you better give a follow up otherwise the second round is much worse than the first.

Angus Cowman":3vlp5zth said:
Why hassle with giving an animal multiple shots of La 200 for footrot and prolonging the stress when 1 shot of Micotil will work and you are done with it

I use the Mikotil for about everything but every time my wife hears me say anything about she gives me heck. That's why I did not say to use it. She says I am going to get someone killed using it.

kenny thomas":2bdj4ts8 said:
Angus Cowman":2bdj4ts8 said:

I use the Mikotil for about everything but every time my wife hears me say anything about she gives me heck. That's why I did not say to use it. She says I am going to get someone killed using it.
well I guess that could work under Dun's culling strategy if they ain't smart enough to use it, it will just cull out the less intelligent users

Angus Cowman":1754b0hp said:

That risk of getting killed weighed against a few more sticks.

jkwilson":y3syrjqu said:
Angus Cowman":y3syrjqu said:

That risk of getting killed weighed against a few more sticks.
If your that dam scared or incompetent not to be able to give a shot to a calf without injecting your self then I would suggest you not use it

I have given 10s of thousands of shot and I have never stuck myself
yes I have ben stuck by other people but if I am using Micotil I make dam sure nobody else touches it so I eliminate that risk

He77 I guess if you had ever seen anyone who had been injected with blackleg vaccine and what they have to go thru and how it really messes up their lives I guess you wouldn't use it either

Angus Cowman":3kbzq5z2 said:
He77 I guess if you had ever seen anyone who had been injected with blackleg vaccine and what they have to go thru and how it really messes up their lives I guess you wouldn't use it either

I've got stuck several times with the Alpha7 repeater, but never pulled the trigger while the needle was inside. No ill effects that I can tell. Ask dun, I'm probably the most normal person he's ever met.

cfpinz":18w7jz7x said:
Angus Cowman":18w7jz7x said:

I've got stuck several times with the Alpha7 repeater, but never pulled the trigger while the needle was inside. No ill effects that I can tell. Ask dun, I'm probably the most normal person he's ever met.
Point Proven :lol:

ive used micotil somebut i like nuflor and naxcel you can loose animals with LA 200 no matter how many doses you give ... i keep a bottle for pinkeye and footrot around though

Anyone who is using micotil and is not comfortable with it, or for those who are afraid of it ask your vet about a micotil safety syringe. They are a trigger lock syringe with a shroud around the needle that makes it almost impossible foe an accidental stick. BUT if your not competent to give a shot stay away from the product.

cfpinz":i7pnnp1y said:
Angus Cowman":i7pnnp1y said:

But he's in MO.

jedstivers":19imlx14 said:
cfpinz":19imlx14 said:
Angus Cowman":19imlx14 said:

But he's in MO.

Point taken. I reckon when you're from MO, anyone with a full set of (their own) teeth is worth calling a town hall meeting over.

We hear a lot of talk about overuse of antibiotics and often from the the same folks that try to treat BRD with LA200, either the animal dies or they eventually get some better medicine, in any case the LA200 was not effective and it's use results in more total antibiotic being used.

As far as Micotil is concerned, Angus Cowman is right, if you're not experienced don't use it.

Larry

Latest posts