KUHN DISC MOWER PROTECT-A-DRIVE

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Local Deere dealer had a used Kuhn 700 GII HD traded in and he agreed to let me try it out. I've mowed about 20 acres with it. I do like it. 9" 2" cut width is a big improvement from what I was using (5 1/2 foot width CCM drum mower).

My biggest concern is the driveline protection system. The newest Kuhn's have a shearable hub under the turtle that fails and saves the remaining gears in the cutterbar. From what I can see, the 700 series doesn't have this feature.

Anybody out there have any knowledge of this cutter? The local Kuhn dealer said he didn't know. Funny.

In another thread on Haytalk about these mowers, said he had one cut off a metal t post. That's impressive. My concern is if a rock were to jam just right between two turtles, what's gonna happen if there is no weak link in the system?

Thanks, Mike

Ran that exact mower for the last 6-7 years. Was about as trouble free as you could ask for just watch the belt tension. As for shock hub protection i cant say as i remember how it was set up. My guess would be the belts would slip before anything metal broke from my experience. Pretty durable machine but i guess anything can happen.

Ran that exact mower for the last 6-7 years. Was about as trouble free as you could ask for just watch the belt tension. As for shock hub protection i cant say as i remember how it was set up. My guess would be the belts would slip before anything metal broke from my experience. Pretty durable machine but i guess anything can happen.
You wouldn't believe the amount of digging I had to do to find out that the GMD 700 GII HD does have the safety hub. All good now. The idea of the belts having some give crossed my mind to.

Glad you got it straight, i thought so but wasnt sure enough to say. That is a great machine, thinking i wish i had mine back.

Chewed through a million ant hills both soft as mud and hard as rocks, cut t post, hit a telephone pole that the stupid lineman cut off about 3 inches above the ground instead of pulling it up. That last one tripped the breakaway and also broke the bottom yoke. All that and lots of other things I can't remember and all I've done to the bar is change blades and oil. Worst is finding a rope the hard way and smoking the belts.