kudzu

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
does anyone have kudzu in wet areas? i understand it will take over the pasture. i am intensizing grazing cattle in 4 / 5acre pastures and rotating them as needed. i have read good stuff above kudzu for cows and cannot see the downside if your cows are eatting it down. i have bahia grass and a wet area that could benefit for something to add to grazing.

if kudzu takes over and the cows are on it what is the downside? if you are pushing your land already and kudzu grows fast it seems like a benefit to have.

comments? thanks. J in FL

Might want to check with your state/county and see if it's leagl to plant or if it's classified as a noxious/invasive weed

Don't even think about planting kudzu. You'll have kudzu growing out of your yang-yang forever. Cows will eat it, but I sure wouldn't want any more of it on my farm than is already here. Sheep on the other hand... love it like a 5 year old with a candy bar.

It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to kill once it gets established. There are good things happening using sheep to kill it. They kill it because they eat it do death. Normally takes 3 - 5 times of a good sheep eating to kill it off.

Check with whatever agency you should in your area before planting. It may not be allowed.

if its so good for cows whats the problem with having alot? seems like a good problem to have lots of it for intensive grazing.

It's probably somewhat like Johnson grass. If you don't have a way to control it, it will become a big problem. That's why people hate it. We have 20 acres of Johnson grass and it's the best performing pasture for cattle that we have. But we have to manage it well not to have a problem.

If you do plant it. Have tractor running with bushhog spinning. Throw seed and pop clutch, maybe you can beat it home. Trust me its that bad.

Kudzu is a pest, yes it shows promise as a food with great nutritional value. However, it is a non-native species with no natural pests ie. viruses and bacteria such as it has in its native invironment. Therefore it is a noxious weed choking everything in its path, trees old homesteads, etc. Most of our great ideas brought about by promising non-native plants has been disasterous, here are a few examples of many disasters kudzu, cogon grass, chinese tallow tree. So a word of caution stay away from non-native species that seem too good to be true. They are too good to b e true and thus become pests.

I posed this very same question a few years back on this board as some may remember............I was in no uncertain terms told that it was very illegal to plant it. My neighbor who grows trees even offered to kill me (jokinly I hope) if I planted it.

Thing is....I have some very poor sections of pasture, that are so steep, that no amount of hand work will ever be worthwhile to try and improve them besides spreading some lime etc......The areas that can be travelled with machine are a much different story of course......I also have short term leases on large parcels of shrub and briar filled pastures, that in reality would be foolish to spend any real time to renovate.

I found out one thing...........if there is any kudzu around......just a wait a bit....it will find you! it has been working it's way up this mountain, and has finally found it's way naturally into our pastures...............and yes, I am not sure it will get a good hold as our cattle are right on it and keep it well in check.............. Personally, IF controlled, I love kudzu....very good and free forage:cboy: