Kudzoo

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok, a bit off base here I know...was reading recently that many asian farmers grow cattle out on kudzo.....anyone have any experience with same?

I believe it's illegal to introduce kudzo to any new areas in the state these days, but I am seeing it everywhere, and was wondering just how palatable this vine/plant is to cattle. And possibly the nutritional values......
perhaps if its a good forage, some birds might drop the seeds of this plant somewhere close to the fences that join the brand new development going in just behind me, and my cattle would be eating good? ;-) ;-) :cboy:

Medic24":kjosn10w said:
Ok, a bit off base here I know...was reading recently that many asian farmers grow cattle out on kudzo.....anyone have any experience with same?

I believe it's illegal to introduce kudzo to any new areas in the state these days, but I am seeing it everywhere, and was wondering just how palatable this vine/plant is to cattle. And possibly the nutritional values......
perhaps if its a good forage, some birds might drop the seeds of this plant somewhere close to the fences that join the brand new development going in just behind me, and my cattle would be eating good? ;-) ;-) :cboy:

It's a legume that grows like a weed. Cattle like it. Problem is.......they can't reach it up in the trees.

In a place on the back side I use for winter grazing is a 3 differant owner corner. 2 of us run cattle and the 3rd guy don't. By the time winter rolls around the kudzu has overlapped the fences and is growing about 20 feet on me. When I turn the cows in there the older ones head strait of the kudzu. They bypass all the grass to get to it. I recon they remember it from the prior year. They eat all of it before touching the grass. Like Mike said If it gets in the trees its a nightmare. The guy that don't run cattle has it all over his place. He don't have any other weed or grass, it has taken over everthing.

In optimum growing conditions, it can grow 12 inches a day according to some reports.

I was bushhogging some today. By the time I when back to the house it had beat me home. Oh wait a minute this ain't the quail hunting liers thread, nevermind. It actually only made it halfway. :lol:

Bama":3nbg4apz said:
I was bushhogging some today. By the time I when back to the house it had beat me home. Oh wait a minute this ain't the quail hunting liers thread, nevermind. It actually only made it halfway. :lol:
It grows so fast here I gotta take the machete with me in the mornin just to find the tractor! :shock:

I wish that I had it all over my pasture, much protien, and grows fast. I rented a little pasture covered in it once, and had to repair some fence because of it. But I overstocked it and had some fat cows in no time, then they sold the place after my cows cleaned it up, you have to take cows off of it once in a while or they will kill it. I used to hate it. Till I bought some cows. I wish I could cut n bale it.

They say to get kudzoo started you throw it down and run. Bama what's the quail hunting liers comment. Surely you know I tell these stories only in jest.

Never really considered Kudzu being that good for cattle since it covered anything that didn't run from it. I had no idea that they did that well on it and had no idea that it was a legume either.

ctlbaron":21hgklv4 said:
They say to get kudzoo started you throw it down and run. Bama what's the quail hunting liers comment. Surely you know I tell these stories only in jest.

Yeah, I know. I was only poking fun. But you do a wonderful job at it. You will notice you have some competition, myself included. ;-)

It grows so fast here I gotta take the machete with me in
the mornin just to find the tractor! :shock:[/quote]

I didn't know y'all had Kudzu in Texas. About 20 years ago we had friends visit us from Hunt County and they had never seen it. They thought it was pretty and wanted to roll in it. You'd never hear an Alabamian make such a statement! ;-)

Hello, new here, but was reading this...we dont have kudzu here in south east texas that I know of. But was reading about it here while back and alotta people cut and bale it in the south and say it's wonderful forage for cattle...but I think I'll stick to grass.

jersey lilly":31dpm6ur said:
Hello, new here, but was reading this...we dont have kudzu here in south east texas that I know of. But was reading about it here while back and alotta people cut and bale it in the south and say it's wonderful forage for cattle...but I think I'll stick to grass.

Are you really Lilly Langtry?

dun

The biggest problem with baling it is the leaves fall off rather easily. Also it is agravating as it is a vine and will wrap around everthing.

I've heard that cows will eat it but I didn't know how good it was for them. Around here people seem to hate it, anywhere it gets started it takes over. Literally chokes and kills large trees. I believe it would completely cover the highway in some fields if there wasn't enough traffic going through to keep it knocked back.

Damned skippy there is lots of kudzu here in tennessee im gonna start feeding it to my cattle.

Latest posts