Kubota w/Loader LB702 and 5x5 bales

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
My friends loader will only lift these about 6 inches. His spear is attached to the Bucket. Cylinders were rebuilt once. We just changed the fluid also. These bales weigh about 1500lbs. once off the ground it quits lifting. any suggestions?

bigger tractor,

My loader on my JD would only lift a 1000gal steel tank about 6 inches Saturday. I got the old ford backhoe (same as a 9n tractor) and picked it up and set it on the back of a truck.

As M-5 said bigger tractor. you could try taking bucket of and using a quick attach spear might work. That loader is only designed to pick up about 1850 pounds at the the pins on the bucket.

muleskinner":3td2y2fa said:
As M-5 said bigger tractor. you could try taking bucket of and using a quick attach spear might work. That loader is only designed to pick up about 1850 pounds at the the pins on the bucket.

So if I am thinking correctly, the bucket extending the Bale out roughly 2 feet will change geometry and lift ability.

That is correct and its also at the limits of its lift capacity once you figure weight of bucket spear and bale. The tractors Hydro pump is prolly also at its limits. One reason the old ford can lift heavy stuff besides the big cylinders is it had a dedicated pump for hydraulics because tractor does not require any.

Take the bucket off and put the spear right up by the pins and I'll bet it will lift without too much grief.

I used to use a spear in front of the bucket and my tractor had all it could do to lift 5.5x5.5 bales. Took the bucket off and made a spear right up close and it lifted them without any trouble.

thommoos":31fxtcce said:
muleskinner":31fxtcce said:

So if I am thinking correctly, the bucket extending the Bale out roughly 2 feet will change geometry and lift ability.

When you carry the groceries in do you have them next to your body, or extended at arms length? Same principle.

you need a 70hp tractor to lift 1500lb bales.a spear mounted on the bucket is no good.plus its a good way to mess the bucket up.

muleskinner":1wgp7v9d said:

Bringing the load closer in to the pins should do the trick and as another said "bring the rpms up" - pumps more hydraulic fluid through the cylinders?

As to clamp on bales spears - some are pure junk and not worth the potential damage to the bucket. But the one I used for over 8 years on the same bucket never created any damage or bending of the bucket. Average round bale weight was about 1050 lbs.

James T":3t85nhr2 said:
muleskinner":3t85nhr2 said:

Bringing the load closer in to the pins should do the trick and as another said "bring the rpms up" - pumps more hydraulic fluid through the cylinders?

As to clamp on bales spears - some are pure junk and not worth the potential damage to the bucket. But the one I used for over 8 years on the same bucket never created any damage or bending of the bucket. Average round bale weight was about 1050 lbs.

"Bring the rpms up" could help some, but the deciding factors is the presssure relief setting of the bypass valve. Possibly the pressure could be "tweaked" just a bit higher :idea:

Latest posts