Krone KR260

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a krone kr260 baler and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.

I will bale at the most 150bales a year of mainly fescue and indiangrass, and maybe some millet. All of my hay is for personal use never sell any of it.

I've borrowed a friends M&W, which is just a Krone clone as I understand. Straight forward baler without much to go wrong. Seemed there wasn't much it wouldn't pick up and roll. Outsides of the bales were super hard, sometimes I would break up the bale a little for the older cows. Maybe wasn't needed but every once in a while they'd get one they couldn't get open.
They way the hay overlaps as it rolls makes it tougher to get some spears in the bale, especially the 4x4 rolls I had. They were too light and my spear was too large to penetrate well, that was the only downside that I found.

My only experience with Krone was with a tedder. I bought a used 2006 model 4 basket that I am sure at one time was about as good as you could get. It was the worse over built piece equipment I have ever seem. Everything was pressed together, all the tolerances was as close as you could get. It had set out in the big barn a lot also. It was out of timing and I needed to get it a part to fix. I took a cutting torch, a 16 lbs. sledge, 10 foot pry bar and tried to get it a part. I could cut it a part, but parts were extremely expensive. I had no luck getting it a part. The next auction it was in. I lost $500 on it. If everything Krone makes was like it once it breaks good luck.

jltrent":355ceha6 said:
My only experience with Krone was with a tedder. I bought a used 2006 model 4 basket that I am sure at one time was about as good as you could get. It was the worse over built piece equipment I have ever seem. Everything was pressed together, all the tolerances was as close as you could get. It had set out in the big barn a lot also. It was out of timing and I needed to get it a part to fix. I took a cutting torch, a 16 lbs. sledge, 10 foot pry bar and tried to get it a part. I could cut it a part, but parts were extremely expensive. I had no luck getting it a part. The next auction it was in. I lost $500 on it. If everything Krone makes was like it once it breaks good luck.

Hate to read that just bought a Krone 4 basket tedder. Thought I had upgraded to the top of the line. They sure seem to be built nice. Maybe to nice?

As for the Krone baler, somebody on here swears by them, maybe CB? I have used a MW a good bit back in the day and I think they are very similar. No problems out of that at all for what was asked of it. Never heard anything bad about the Krones that are around here.

kentuckyguy":3d12hm6x said:
I'm looking at picking up a krone kr260 baler and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.

I will bale at the most 150bales a year of mainly fescue and indiangrass, and maybe some millet. All of my hay is for personal use never sell any of it.

Ran a Krone for years that baler could
make a preacher cuss. Terrible about the throat clogging along with Lord help if you don't keep your bearings in good shape. Best thing I ever did when I was making Hay was selling that bailer.
Now the cutter was the best I ever owned. Made great bales just higher maintenance than my other balers.

What model did you have Caustic Burno? I have always heard the Krones would anthing including corn stalks and wet hay for baleage.
The KR 260 is a open throat baler with an extra wide pickup like on most any baler.

kentuckyguy":2bak3dkv said:
What model did you have Caustic Burno? I have always heard the Krones would anthing including corn stalks and wet hay for baleage.
The KR 260 is a open throat baler with an extra wide pickup like on most any baler.

KR160 worst part was the closed drum with chains and bearings. Eighty eight bearings if I recall . Put a good fire extinguisher on it. It was an open throat as well. Made great bales when you weren't working on it.
Give me Heston or Vermeer.

Latest posts