Kripto?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Can anyone explane what kripto or cripto is? I send fecal samples off on some scouring calves and hey said it was kripto positive. They also said they didn't know of a treatment for it. Any help out there?

Cryptosporidium is a single celled organism. Be very careful as it is zoonotic. Meaning it can and will transfer to humans it is a nasty bug that causes sever diarreaha. A dairy guy i talked to said the cocci tabs with arsenic, charcoal seem to help. But that is just rumor, as i have never had to deal with this. I know when people get it they can die as well.

oooh - I googled it. I knew I recognized it. Wick - make sure you wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly.

Here's an article from 1990 in which some researchers in Spain successfully treated 150~ calves.

aac.asm.org/cgi/reprint/35/2/283.pdf

just cut and paste that into your address bar

you can also Google this:
treatment for Cryptosporidium in calves
to find out more stuff

Cryptosporidium... Crypto+Rota is the worst to deal with. Since 3 years i have to deal with this problem. There is one treatment in Europe. Intervet's product. Halocur. I don't know if it's avalable in US. I save my calf this way. I don't know if you can find this med...maybe on online pharm or maybe you know somebody who knows somebody...First 3 cc of Trimidox for 3 days, 2 pill of Zitromax the first day and one pill a day for the next 3 days. If the calf don't react to zithromax, give them Biaxin, one pill each 12 hours and stop zithromax. If the calf become weak, give IV electrolyte. That is the only way I found to save them and this way I save them. Vaccinate your cows for rota, corona and Ecoli. Watch very close your calf at the 5-6-7 days.
Zithromax and Biaxin = human med.
If somebody know another way to save them, please tell me.
Marcel

I mentioned it to my vet in passing the other day. he siad we don't see much of that here, but survival is based on hydration. Keep them hydrated with electrolytes. They can fight it. The problem is when the intestinal walls break down. When that happens, .... well, my condolences.

Latest posts