Koch Big Timber

Help Support CattleToday:

Cada22

Reaction score
Any experience with him? I know he is advertised as a heifer bull. Any horror stories or solid calf reports on him?

Only seen one. It was a little dink and isnt growing well. Not my calf and you cant judge a bull off of one calf but I am personally not interested in anything with a 0 or negative birth weight myself. I had similar experience with Hooks Beacon.

I like the looks of the bull, but haven't really cared for the few calves I've seen. Progeny I've seen have looked slender, feminine, kind of dinky like Dale said.

Anyone have any full blood simm recommendations other than Uno Mas? Breeding heifers.

There's lots of good calving ease purebreds out there. Just let us know if theres a certain semen distributor you plan to use.

Either Select or ABS. Trying to use something with ties to Gibbs. They are semi local to us and we are all about helping local when we can. They have Broad Range but I know he isn't proven yet.

I Figure and sounds like you want to use a black calving ease growth bull but if you aren't oppose to using red ones Imperial and Red Moon fit the bill at Select. I've liked everything I've seen from those two bulls and they are calving ease. The 1/2 blood Boulder is nice at ABS.

Well from ABS I would recommend hooks Yellowstone 97Y. He's proved himself to be a calving ease bull with good growth. I have a 8 month old heifer out of him that is growing very well. Here's a pic of her at weaning.
ussilyw.jpg

From select sires you have a few calving ease sired that are proven. Hooks Bozeman and Imperial. I don't trust the low accuracy CED on newer bulls.

If you are willing to buy from cattle visions Shell Shocked is calving ease and throws good calves. He is heterozygous black so you could end up with a red one depending on your cows. I ended up with a red one.
Pic of a shell shocked heifer at weaning.
dwN3C78.jpg

I like the looks of those heifers and will check out both bulls. I was to try to go with a purebred simm so I can possibly register any heifers as half bloods

Rapid Fire is only 3/4 blood if I remember correctly but we have a really nice heifer out of him this year. Good growth and thick and stout.
Mid January calf.

Latest posts