Knot on side of Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
I have a bull that I borrowed to service a few cows and he has a big knot that came up on his lower stomach close to his back side. Any ideas on what it could be. He is about a 3 year old bull. Hernia?

Thanks

hernias are usually soft and can sometimes be pushed back into the abdomen. That is a pretty good sized bump and I have never seen anything large other than a hernia or snake bite on the body. big hard lumps on the jaw are common, but body lumps tend to be smaller abscess type things - a thorn or splinter or bad aim on vaccinating etc. will be interested if anybody else chimes in on this.

are the other animals he is with horned? possible it is a hematoma but I am stumped.

No sir, he is polled and a Charlois Bull. I am not home or I would have a picture. I vaccinated him and wormed him and gave him 18 cc of LA 200. I should have got a picture, but didn't know I was going to ask the question here.

garseer - Do you have any bossy cows that he's with? Ones that have a tendency to push or head butt others out of their way?
I had a cow this summer that looked like she was trying to shoplift a soccer ball. It was on her side in the mid-lower rib area. Cow acted normal, ate normal, and was able to jump a gate when trying to pen her. Had the vet look at her and determined it was an edema, or blood and fluid buildup. Vet poked with a needle a drew some blood and fluid out. No puss so it was not an abscess or infection. There was no break in the skin or drainage. He advised not to lance it if there was no infection and Antibiotics weren't needed at the time. Most likely she got jammed by a branch in the wooded area of the pasture or got a headbutt just right.

Kept an eye on her and in 3-4 weeks it was completely gone.

Latest posts