knot on a cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

ryan_289

Reaction score
I noticed today that one of my cows has a round knot in the loose skin in front of her brisket. It looks like a mini basketball. I dont see any open wounds there. She is acting normal, grazing with the rest of the herd. Anything I need to check or look at, or just wait and see?

Thats kind of what im thinking. If it stops raining tomorrow im going to get her up in the chute. What are some things I should check? What would the absess feel like? If it is an absess should I lance it myself or take her to the vet?

An abscess will be soft. If you have experience, you could lance it yourself. First stick a needle in it and then pull it out to make sure there is even puss inside the knot. If there is puss trapped then some will come out the small hole you made with the needle. Then you know it needs to be lanced.

Well I got her up and checked her out. Not an absess. It was hard. I stuck it with a needle and got some real dark, nasty blood. Im guessing a hematoma. Called the vet and he described what I have to a T. Told me to shoot her up with LA 200 and keep an eye on her. (of course I would be out of LA so I will have to get her up again tomorrow!) He told me that some cows could get that from eating out of a hay ring.

On another note. Glad I got my cows up in the lot. I did have to lance an absess on the jaw of a calf. Ive got her momma and my other cow and calf together in a seperate pasture now so I can keep an eye on both.

So what did the vet say the exact diagnosis was? Just curious in case it happens to me, because of course my cows eat out of a hay ring. Glad you figured out what was wrong.

He didnt really say. Just that he had seen it before. With the dark blood in there it just about has to be a hematoma. My guess is she knocked it against something and ruptured a blood vessel.

Yes. Still seems normal. The knot is still there but the vet told me it could be there for up to six weeks. I got her up Monday afternoon and gave her a dosage of LA 200. Saw her this morning.

Latest posts