King & Queen at the Alumni Parade

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
This is just a corny little story . . . My FIL will turn 100 yrs. in early July. His next younger surviving sister, Mabel, is 98. Today they are the King and Queen of the annual Butler, MO High School alumni festivities, as the oldest living graduates of Butler H.S. Had their own float in the parade and will be "royal" for the day! Wish we could've been there to see it (and I hope neither of them suffers a stroke from all the excitement and attention!) :D

I got that. But he is a man, he is the King of the high school, the queen is his sister, he's surrounded by younger women, .... he is a man .... he ain't dead .... what part am I missing?

Jogeephus":3x9pom44 said:
I got that. But he is a man, he is the King of the high school, the queen is his sister, he's surrounded by younger women, .... he is a man .... he ain't dead .... what part am I missing?

You're more ahead on this than I am, Jo! I'm sure he had lots of young lady hugs today. There I go . . . worrying about the stroke factor again . . . :lol: :lol:

He had a GREAT time! He is not one that likes being center-stage. After the parade, there was a lunch at the school, and he had to push out a cart on stage with a 125th alumni reunion cake. When his daughter reminded him of that, he either really did or tried to forget that he'd committed to that task (his memory/cognitive skills are still very good). But his old self got up and did it. Today, he is off with hubby's brother and wife to a BBQ with her family. He will be totally exhausted after the weekend, but he likes people and likes getting out, Thank God, or there wouldn't be much else to keep his motor running.

Jogeephus":1g3s0u20 said:

Jogee, I don't see you missing anything; our thoughts are in harmony one this one. My Granddad spent 2 years flirting with the nurses before he cashed in his chips. Kathie, it's not a corny little story. Thanks for sharing it with us. After the typical daily news, this is a refreshing feeling, especially on Memorial Day weekend. Thumbs up. Thanks :cboy: . It's a good thing to know and have family that you're proud to talk about. I've got both :lol2:

Ouachita":302b4qp2 said:
Jogeephus":302b4qp2 said:

Jogee, I don't see you missing anything; our thoughts are in harmony one this one. My Granddad spent 2 years flirting with the nurses before he cashed in his chips. Kathie, it's not a corny little story. Thanks for sharing it with us. After the typical daily news, this is a refreshing feeling, especially on Memorial Day weekend. Thumbs up. Thanks :cboy: . It's a good thing to know and have family that you're proud to talk about. I've got both :lol2:
Thank you, Ouachita! FIL was not in service -- probably because he was 30 at the time of WWII, was the only son in the family of a bunch of sisters, married w/2 children, and was a farmer. He pitched in with other neighbors, to help families of those who were serving, to help get their crops in, calve out there cows, and such. He was till mowing lawns for free for Sr. citizens when he was in his 70s. He and his wife delivered meals on wheels until just a few years ago, but he has never allowed that program to come to him. Mom died last year at near 99. He continues to live pretty much unassisted in his own small house, and still drives some. (He's worried he won't maybe get his license renewed in July! We're worried he'll get renewed. Always an exciting ride with Dad!) We are thankful daily that all the rest of the family is there and watchful. But, YEAH, I think this was a really, really good event/weekend for him!
:banana:

john250":2mu9u94g said:
Grandad died at 97, holding a valid drivers license. It would have killed him to give that thing up.
Bless your Grandad's soul, John! Dad knows his driving skills aren't the best. Don't know if he realizes that most accidents happen w/in 5 miles of home. That's his zone. His wings would be sorely clipped if he couldn't renew his license. But we would hate to have some horrible accident happen because of his regular "California stops" at a sign. And he's just not "quick" to respond now. :(

Latest posts