Kinda Like this Bull at Sydenstrickers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have been looking at this 22 month old bull at Sydenstrikers. He is really super muscled for his age, and is incredibly thick through his flank. He appears to have plenty of gut, but I am not sure about the rib cage midways of his side. It appears to dip. Or this could be where the picture was being modified or touched up to show the bull at his best, and this part was not highlighted. It just does not go with the rest of the bull.

http://sydgen.com/herdsires/SydGen5420Destination1472.html

If someone wanted to pull up some low EPD's on a cow, this bull could do it. But you would have to watch some of the other numbers. I would be looking for a cow with a high $EN and a low milk number to counter-act his $EN -38.02 and milk of +.38. Although, I don't always find this two numbers to run with the science given, it is just a reference I suppose. His EPD's are still in low acc. so they are subject to change.

In my opinion.....I haven't seen an Angus bull this age with this muscle. When I see one with muscle, he is usually thinner, and leaner; no body depth and has no fat covering his body which tells me that he burns up what ever he eats. That is a hard keeping bull. I want fat on my bull, and I want him to produce fat on my calves. With the low -$EN number the bull has, I say that he is an easy keeper with that gut and layer of fat.
If his rib cage is full at the top, and it is just a picture flaw, I would use this bull. He appears to be shorter bodied than he is because of the extra thick profile.
Has anyone laid eyes on this bull before?

I saw him last year, the picture doesn't do his muscle justice. He actually moved pretty well for a bull that thick. I liked Big Medicine better of the bulls they sold last year, plus a CC&7 son out of Trust's dam that was renamed Sydgen Commission were both better balanced bulls than the bull you pictured..

I could not find Sydgen Commission, but I looked at Big Medicine.

http://sydgen.com/herdsires/SydGenBigMedicine1558.html

Although he does have a lot of bulk and muscle, I don't care for his shoulders, front legs and back to his tail bone.

I like the bull "Sydgen Stacked Deck" OK, but when I put his picture beside my first choice, his thickness was strong, but he won 2nd.. His muscle was less. But he was still a good looking bull for one less than 2 years old.

http://sydgen.com/herdsires/SydGenStackedDeck1605.html

Sydenstrickers has a bull for everyone. They really have quality animals. If you don't like the one you are looking at, just look at the next one.

Big Medicine was the third thickest bull in that group behind the 1472 bull and Big Medicine's flush brother. Commission and Stacked Deck were just a bit behind them in terms of thickness. Commission and Big Medicine put together all the things you want to see in a bull the best of the bulls there last year.

you can go to angusjournal.com, go to the sale books archive and look at last years catalog he is lot 78E.. currently commission is residing in TN. saw him less than a month ago.

Chuckie":2grjv85s said:
If someone wanted to pull up some low EPD's on a cow, this bull could do it. But you would have to watch some of the other numbers. I would be looking for a cow with a high $EN and a low milk number to counter-act his $EN -38.02 and milk of +.38. Although, I don't always find this two numbers to run with the science given, it is just a reference I suppose. His EPD's are still in low acc. so they are subject to change.
Destination928 was a positive $EN as I recall so there's a chance that he's taken after that side of the family and his own EN might come up...
But that's the danger in trying to breed out extremes. We like to think that if we breed a -38.02 to a +38.02 we'll get a 0.00 every time but in reality it can be anywhere in between the two extremes. The only way to get close to ideal on something like $EN is to sit down and figure out what ideal is in your situation and breed consistently to that number. The more times you put that specific number into an animals history the more likely they are to average to it.

Commission is a good looking bull. They sold some nice bulls at the sale as usual. I miss going to the sale, but when I don't need anything new at the moment, I just can't go watch and not bring anything home. If I see something I really like and the bidding starts, I would be like a wineo in a liquor store if the clerk asked me to watch things while he stepped out back for a smoke break.

I sell bulls to commercial cattle people, and they want bulk muscle bulls, and of course, that are eye appealing. I feel that the 1472 bull has the ability to produce thickness in his calves, by looking at his profile, he is super thick from girth to flank. Many of the bulls now, have a horse profile, with the girth pinched, and the flank narrowed. He has the physical attributes that I am looking for to cross with my cattle without looking at his EPD's. His shoulder is really massive and is deeper. The muscle on his leg ties in longer on his back leg. I like his fuller rump across the top, and his tail head is not pronounced, It is fuller going down to the shank and into to his gaskin, to the hock.
He has the capacity to hold a lot of grass and hay, to digest later, and gain weight.

When I look at his EPD's; some are fantastic, and two are not good.
Or I can go with a lighter weight bull, with lower numbers and some not so good EPD's, but the $EN could be a less negative. I am not speaking of Commission here. Commission's EPD's are in the same bracket as the bull I am looking at. It is really difficult to pick out the bull, and the EPD's.
I think I could try him on a couple of cows and see how it turns out.

Cow Pollinator is correct on the $EN's. $EN's are based on a bull's female offspring (cows) dealing with their size and milking ability. There are positives in the bull's background, but there are negatives as well. His grandparents are negative except for GAR Retail Product. I see a lot of Retail Product in this bull, as I have seen going though the Deer Valley Sales. But I have never seen one this thick.