Killing termites

Help Support CattleToday:

mturner719

Reaction score
Looks like we have some problems with termites in our barn. The barn is 5 years old and made of treated wood. Anyone have any suggestions?

get it and the ground sprayed. prevent wet areas and shaded areas around the base of the barn. dont stack stuff up next to the barn. i had a new idea the other day to start breeding anteaters and rent them out to people. they like termites as well.

Beefy":14c1rcxp said:
get it and the ground sprayed. prevent wet areas and shaded areas around the base of the barn. dont stack stuff up next to the barn. i had a new idea the other day to start breeding anteaters and rent them out to people. they like termites as well.

Excellent advice Beefy. Stacks of lumber, or even firewood, are attractants. Old stumps too.

sidney411":3dxbimre said:
Come on guys, what's the point of having a barn if you can't stack a bunch of junk in it?

i never said you couldnt cram it full of junk. just needs to be clutter free around it. :lol:

mturner719":29dqsv3m said:
Looks like we have some problems with termites in our barn. The barn is 5 years old and made of treated wood. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chlordane. 20% Preferably.

MikeC":3hzxcrcv said:
mturner719":3hzxcrcv said:

Chlordane. 20% Preferably.

I used Chlordane on my foundation when I built my house in 97. I wish I could still get it. great stuff.

Burnt motor oil is good around beams and things having ground contact. I also use a sprayer that attaches to a garden hose and put Pounce or Permethrin in it. I soak the ground under the buildings and my house each spring. Kills roaches too.

Borax....they hate the stuff. Thats what the big boys use in various forms to protect the wood.
You don't kill termites, the idea is to keep them in the ground, that is what the spray is all about. The chemical barrier just keeps the bugs in the ground. Had to take a course in termites a few years back when I was building.
Alot of work to isolate the queen and kill the coloney...they can burrow real deep.
Good luck...Dmc

Did you know there are several grades of treated wood? Not all treated wood is treated all the way through. You may have bought some of this. Be sure it the lumber is meant for ground contact. This should be completely treated.

Latest posts