Kids growing up to fast

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
A friends son killed his first buck this afternoon. It was his first deer also. I don't know if it's good or bad, I am walking the fence on this one. The boy is only 6 years old and 54 lbs, and he shot it with a 300win.mag. Sure glad my son's did it a little different. Happy Thanksgiving folks.

highgrit":391vmixl said:
A friends son killed his first buck this afternoon. It was his first deer also. I don't know if it's good or bad, I am walking the fence on this one. The boy is only 6 years old and 54 lbs, and he shot it with a 300win.mag. Sure glad my son's did it a little different. Happy Thanksgiving folks.

A bit of over kill wouldn't you say?

Set up right they do not buck much. But for a deer?

Bez

I have a friend, that hold the gun, while his daughter pulls the trigger. I didn't start mine that way. It doesn't seem sporting at all. Perhaps they did something similar to this.

I wouldn't even let mine hunt until they could put 4 shots into a paper plate at 100 yds. They had their choice of caliber, and could rest it but had to do it all themselves.

When I was young and dumb, and full of...... Well, y'all know. When I was 19 years old I had to have the new Browning "A" bolt chambered in .300 Win. Mag.
I went out west with it. I never killed anything out there with it. For a couple more years I learned there wasn't much left of our west Arkansas white tails after the win mag was done. I treasured it for many other reasons but it spent most of its time in the lock up. The quality I like most is the long range accuracy, even in windy conditions; the least is the damage to the prey, and to me for the limited times I've employed it's use. I also learned an ordinary scope could not withstand the recoil. I was a cheaparse back then and the 4x16 Redfield I bought would never handle the recoil. May have been a bum scope or me. I bought a $550 Leopold for the $500 rifle. I suspect I could load tame rounds and also trick it out to manage the recoil, but I really like my .243 for these smallish white tails.

I started hunting with dad when I was 4 and killed my first deer at 6 with a 50 caliber muzzleloader, I don't think that's to early for a first deer. Now the 300 win mag is excessive IMO, but there are a ton of people around here hunting in brush where you never shoot over 100 yards, that are shooting 300's and 7 mags. I've found it odd before, but hey what do I know. I'll stick with the 30-06 and 243.

My kids used 243's and they still have them. Hopefully their kids will use them for their first deer too. I started hunting birds then rabbit and squirrel. Mom and Dad were happy and little Adam was too so all's good I guess.

We didn't deer hunt when I was growing up. I was in the jeep at 1yr old quail hunting I've been told. I got my first rifle when I was 16 a 30-30, I gave my kids a 4-10 at 8 and a 243 at 10, I could shoot the 22 hunting squirrels only with my dad from about 6 to 10. If I wanted to hunt by myself at that age I was regulated to the BB gun or sling shot. I would get 00 buck shells out of the gun cabinet and cut the ends off to get The pellets . And shot used primers they aren't accurate but the whistle when you shoot them.

M5farm":1cb3gqxd said:
We didn't deer hunt when I was growing up. I was in the jeep at 1yr old quail hunting I've been told. I got my first rifle when I was 16 a 30-30, I gave my kids a 4-10 at 8 and a 243 at 10, I could shoot the 22 hunting squirrels only with my dad from about 6 to 10. If I wanted to hunt by myself at that age I was regulated to the BB gun or sling shot. I would get 00 buck shells out of the gun cabinet and cut the ends off to get The pellets . And shot used primers they aren't accurate but the whistle when you shoot them.

Your dad was probably worried you might shoot the goats...