Kids and Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 3 year old son. This was the first year that we have raised our own calves and my children really enjoyed them. From the begining we explained that the calves were being raised in order to be eaten and even named one of them T-bone. He would let the kids pet him and would lick thier hands. The kids did really well with taking the calves to slaughter, but I am wondering if it is because the kids are so young and dont fully understand what happens.

I was wondering about some of your experiences on this subject, and helpful hints on how to explain and make it easier for them as they get older.

Thanks
Todd

Kids are not so dumb. If they grow up around it and it is a normal part of life it shouldn't be a problem. My oldest is 3 and a half and knows from what animal all the meat she eats come from. She has seen the dogs kill and eat things and so on. Just be sure you explain that some animal's purpose in life is to feed something else. We refer to rabbits and rodents as nature nachos. :D She still asks from time to time why we don't eat horse. Still don't have a good answer for that.

Tod Dague":1gwv7omp said:
She still asks from time to time why we don't eat horse. Still don't have a good answer for that.

Guess why we don't eat horses (in USA) is because they are our "friends" and method of transportation. The same reason we don't eat our dogs (companion animals)...lol.

As a senior adult that's been doing this for several years now, I still get a touch of sadness when a particular old cow or even a calf sometimes, goes to slaughter. Except for a very few I don't get particularly attached to them, but every once in a while.................
If the kids know up front what the plan is and why, and also realize that there will be a replacement for them coming soon, it seems to make it less of a problem.

dun

my 7 yr old knows what goes on and is getting so it doesnt bother him as much as it used to. but, my two year old would not understand at this stage, so our last steer "moved to a new home." He is okay with that. We chose this approach since we raise our beef as pets first then as burger.
We started with the "moving" thing with my seven year old and worked up to the "walking steak" stage.
Older kids are harder. I was 12 when we moved from town to the country. I hated the smells and was devastated when BUD went to the slaughter house. The next one was easier.
Only you know your kids, so only your going to know when its okay to tell them whats up.

On a further note. The 7 yr old did want to make sure we wouldnt butcher the pygmy goat, like some do lambs.
That one gets the PET response.

Howdy,
Well I remember when it finally sank in that our beloved steers were going to be raised for food. I went through a phase of not eating beef but I realized that it was n't so bad. The worse they could do is go through a phase but they will finally realize just might take a while.
Ellie May

I grew up in the city and our meat always came out a package. When I moved to the country I never had a problem with butchering. A couple of my cows I would of loved to pull the trigger on myself. The worst problem I had is with the lambs I bred and raised. They are just to darn cute.
My Aunt and her husband have 2 little girls and they just raised them with the It's raised to be food thought and they are fine. The same with one of my neighbors. It will be the same if I stick with cattle when I have kids.

The worst they could do is what my boyfriend's great aunt did. Become a vegitarian. She hasn't touched any meat since she was 8 years old. But each to his own.

I agree with Tod. The kids know what is going on. So no point in hiding it from them.

I was talking to the 4H Extension agent up here a few days ago, and she related this story about her daughter and the pig she'd had in Swine 4H.

This girl raised her pig over the summer, babied it and walked it every day...it was one spoiled pig. I think she won the showmanship class. The auction was Saturday after the fair was all over, and then the following Monday the butcher came over to butcher the animals. After all was said and done, this lady decided it would be good for her daughter, who is eleven or twelve, to see the animals (after) so she understands what the judge is looking for and what "finished" looks like.

The butcher was under strict orders not to tell this girl which one her pig was; however, as they walked from hanging carcass to carcass and the butcher explained that "this pig is better than that one because....and this one placed higher than that one because....", the girl watched calmly and then exclaimed, "Then that one is Susie's, and this one is mine!"

Apparently, it didn't bother her in the slightest. Go figure. LOL.

Our kids were a little resentful with the first couple of steers that we butchered, after they were old enough to understand the whole process. But once that they understood that was the way it was, and that the animal was serving a valuable purpose they began to accept it. What helped them the most, I think, was to understand and take ownership of the situation. When they explained to their friends or Granny that "Chuck" was going to become roast, hamburger, and steak, and that it was OK because that was his purpose, it helped. They were even able to "comfort" Granny so she wouldn't be sad for the animal. ;-)

Latest posts