Kessler's Frontman

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't used him myself but from the chatter I hear he is on the line-up because he is good on In-Focus daughters and ABS knows that there are a TON of those out there that need a mate. Personally I think you could make a lot better choice unless you have a handfull of In Focus daughters that you wanted to try him on.

I bought 10 straws. Only bred one to him to calve this fall - due in a couple weeks. The rest I bred to him won't calve till next year late spring. Didn't use him on heifers because of his accuracy. I liked what you liked though - and his frame score and pedigree. Haven't actually heard anything one way or another though.

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I am looking to hard for that "perfect" bull. Need something for heifers and would like to be able to keep replacements. We also retian ownership of nearly all our calves so yw becomes important as well for those not being kept as replacements. Although the last thing you want is a herd full of 1600lb cows. Just trying to balance it all out.

bpwagner115":c7jrmin3 said:
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I am looking to hard for that "perfect" bull. Need something for heifers and would like to be able to keep replacements. We also retian ownership of nearly all our calves so yw becomes important as well for those not being kept as replacements. Although the last thing you want is a herd full of 1600lb cows. Just trying to balance it all out.

I've posted on him before, but D806 is my choice for 1. heifers, and 2. replacements. D806 is a frame reducer. That said, they'll be "done" quick - just not as big. I don't use D806 on my cows because I think he throttles back frame too much. ABS sells D806 as well. My main goal with heifer is to not shoot for the moon - a live calf that nurses on it's own. D806 is the closest thing to a slam dunk I've seen in that regard - while still allowing me to retain what I want and easily finish the rest.

Do you finish your Prime Time sired cattle or sell at weining? We are looking at probably only 25-30 heifers and of those we would be lucky to have 20 stick AI. I'm just worried those 20 would not match up with the others in terms of size come selling time the following fall.

bpwagner115":w2bmgd1b said:
Do you finish your Prime Time sired cattle or sell at weining? We are looking at probably only 25-30 heifers and of those we would be lucky to have 20 stick AI. I'm just worried those 20 would not match up with the others in terms of size come selling time the following fall.

I don't finish anything myself. It's likely they wouldn't match up. I imagine they'd "keep pace" ok - but they're likely to be smaller cattle.

All i need is a calving ease sire with low bw, heavy muscle, easy keeping, good teat/udder with large scrotal whose female progeny are moderate and feminine with mild temperments and male progeny who excel in the feedlot. Don't forget carcass traits! Is that too much to ask?? :lol:

Latest posts