Kerosene

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Alright. Well I don't know much about horses. But here's a horse that's...well sort of mine. I've got her halter broke but we're havin someone else get her saddle broke. Here's a couple pics...not the best but what do y'all think of her? I hope to barrel race with her in the future. That's a few years down the road though. She's 5 right now.

kerosene4.jpg

kerosene3.jpg

Nice enough looking horse, why did someone wait to start her for so long (5yrs). Looks like she may be appendix, is she?

If you want to barrel race her she should be trained to uncross her front legs... you'll get better times :D

Good luck,
Alan

Alan":2jve7417 said:
Nice enough looking horse, why did someone wait to start her for so long (5yrs). Looks like she may be appendix, is she?

If you want to barrel race her she should be trained to uncross her front legs... you'll get better times :D

Good luck,
Alan
Thanks, lol.

The guy who really owns her had another horse who he had bred. His daughter used to ride but quit when she went off to college. So this horse and her momma were just sittin out there doin diddly squat. I used to ride her momma for fun with a friend of mine. We quit goin a while ago and the momma broke out of the fence and broke her leg clean.. was what he told me. He ended up having to put her down. When I came back to see if they still needed riding, this one was left (she was always my personal favorite :p) but she still wasn't broke. I'm trying to find someone who can start her under saddle for a good price...I really would like to get to ride her. And thanks for the leg crossing tip, lol. I prolly ought to see to that.

Thanks again,
Jay

Is she broke to lead/stay tied? Can you pet her?

Why don't you work with her yourself? If you have time it will create a bond with both of you that will be incredible.

There are about as many theories for "breaking" a horse as there are recipes for making beans, but as long as there is respect and trust (on both sides) you can get a good general idea how to procede from books, magazines and videos (and the internets of course) just use soem common sense, go slow and have fun!

Hippie Rancher":jchfudxq said:
Is she broke to lead/stay tied? Can you pet her?

Why don't you work with her yourself? If you have time it will create a bond with both of you that will be incredible.

There are about as many theories for "breaking" a horse as there are recipes for making beans, but as long as there is respect and trust (on both sides) you can get a good general idea how to procede from books, magazines and videos (and the internets of course) just use soem common sense, go slow and have fun!
She is broke to lead and stay tied. She is very gentle.. "bombproof" is what he often calls her. The first day I worked with her I was able to get the halter on her, lead her, get the saddle pad on her, as well as the saddle. I go slower now though, just leading etc to build her trust.

I would love to work with her myself. I have been for the most part...a friend of mine who currently barrel races will come out and tell me what I should do, then I work on it til she tells me something new. She hasn't been out in a while, though. I actually have read a little about the breaking process, etc, and thought I might get some good advice here. I am glad she's a pretty calm, gentle horse so it makes things a little easier to work with.

One thing I don't like is there's a girl who has got her horse boarded out there. Her horse is an Arabian x QH.. and very spooky. He's sweet, but annoying and often works her nerves while I'm trying to work her. Problem is, if I move him to the adjoining pasture (the gate she is standing in front of in the first picture leads to the other pasture) she gets a little nervous and I don't want to try to work her if she's nervous about what I'm doing as well as what he's doing in the other pasture. I may try to arrange times to go out there the same time as the girl so that she can handle him while I work "my" horse, lol.

Thanks for the input. Alan, I will find out if she's appendix. I thought she was appendix when I first saw her (and I don't know that much about horses) but I'm not sure if she is or not.

For "nervousness" - and I read either "grain" or "lack of excersize" in that term a lot of times, get somebody to show you how to longe - or if you have another horse you can ride you might try to pony her a while, or if nothing else just take her for a nice long walk. That might take some of the edge off.

For sure other horses cand be a distraction, try to find a spot where her attention is more focused on you. And like dogs they can sure tell if YOU are nervous - so don't be. That was easy eh?

I don't have any advice on longing, never really learned how, but I think when done right it can be very helpful in building trust and teaching verbal commands/cues (to both of you - heh)

Having broke to lead and tie is half the job in my opinion - that gives you control and that in turn can help her learn to trust your judgement. Stay confident and read up. I like Monty Roberts philosophy, although I am not a horse trainer or into that whole scene horse scene in any way. Just have a couple of old saddle horses and a bunch of useless pets. :oops:

Latest posts