Kentucky Beef Expo

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel

Reaction score
Planning on going to the Ky. Beef Expo tomorrow if everything goes well. I haven"t been to it before but since its only 35 mile away and we just had 2 inches of rain topped with 8 inches of snow can't do much around the house. Work is slow because nobody can get any of the projects going. Son is home from college. So I think I should go ahead and go. Is there anyone out there going also?

I have been but it has been a few years. Wanted real bad to come there for the gun show last weekend. This weather is killing me. Too bad to get out.

Just spoke with relatives in the Danville area of VA and they were getting ice. I'll take my mess to ice any day. I worked on a silo unloader for an Angus farmer tonight and he was down to his last 8 round bales of hay and he has a little over a hundred head so he is feeding the silage heavy. The good thing is there is plenty of hay available in the area and he has a neighbor right down the road with plenty.

kjonesel":3oumgu5i said:
Just spoke with relatives in the Danville area of VA and they were getting ice. I'll take my mess to ice any day. I worked on a silo unloader for an Angus farmer tonight and he was down to his last 8 round bales of hay and he has a little over a hundred head so he is feeding the silage heavy. The good thing is there is plenty of hay available in the area and he has a neighbor right down the road with plenty.
There is no hay for sale here at any price. I have enough but usually have lots left over. Some winters I graze until March 1 and I still have some grass down under all the snow somewhere. We had 30" in 12 days and then 2.5" of rain and then today 4"of ice and snow again.

This winter was actually mild here till about the last week of January. But we are making up for it now. I still had green in the yard before the snow and I'm sure when the snow comes off we will be surprised how quick it will green up. With the longer days a lot more of ours roads were melted clear today. Next week with the temps in the 50's life will be better. But tomorrow it will be down to 0 in the morning it will help me make my decision to go much easier.

Made it to the beef expo and I guess a lot of breeders were yet to make it a large portion of the stalls were empty. Went for the Gelbvieh show but half the animals that were going to be in the sale catalog weren't there so I guess they called off the show. We stayed but no one ever announced why the shows weren't occurring. I did watch the Angus and Red Angus shows and the quality of the animals shown was excellent. Glad I didn't drive over 35 miles to see it.