Kenny Chesney - Bayou Fest

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I've been a guitar player and builder for the better part of 20 years. I've had the pleasure of seeing a bunch of people in concert, and I always like to pay attention to the "artists" versus the performers. This past weekend was the Bayou Fest in Baton Rouge where a bunch of acts played for the weekend.

In 2007 my wife and I got tickets on the stage for Kenny Chesney and Sugarland - I knew someone who helped me out. During the concert you could hear Kenny cursing at his bandmembers - he really seemed like a donkey's butt. Sugarland, on the other hand, was very friendly, came around and shook everyone's hands and genuinely seemed nice.

So I've always watched concerts to see if the performers are actually playing their instuments or are their back up people doing the hard work, and they are just "performing".

From this past weekend, happy to say that Brooks and Dunn are the real thing. Surprisingly, Taylor Swift can really play well. Keith Urban is a fantastic player and played every one of his solos - which is almost unheard of these days.

Now to Kenny. He did play a little, but the guitar was basically an ornament on him. I have earned new respect, though, for him. He went out of his way to have a satellite connection established with some local military personnel serving overseas. They showed them on the big screens. Kenny went out of his way to thank them for their service. I still consider Kenny more of a performer than an artist, but that was nice of him to do.

Just a weird thing that I always do at concerts - I have to watch to see if they are really playing or just acting like it. Probably the best "real" players I've seen are Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn and now Keith Urban. These were/are "real" artists and don't disappoint.

Gained a lot of respect for Jeff Cook a few years ago when I lived in Alabama. Once he just showed up at a bar and joined in with the band. Didn't realize how bad the band's guitar player was till Jeff started playing. (or maybe I should say I didn't realize how good Jeff was) As it turns out its a small world and Jeff is a friend of my neighbor's and sometimes visits him. Its always low key but I always know when he is visiting from the music. We'll just sit out on the porch and listen.

cypressfarms":1ag0ofib said:
Probably the best "real" players I've seen are Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn and now Keith Urban. These were/are "real" artists and don't disappoint.
Left out 2 of the greatest, Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed

Jogeephus":8sd0tz9t said:
Gained a lot of respect for Jeff Cook a few years ago when I lived in Alabama. Once he just showed up at a bar and joined in with the band. Didn't realize how bad the band's guitar player was till Jeff started playing. (or maybe I should say I didn't realize how good Jeff was) As it turns out its a small world and Jeff is a friend of my neighbor's and sometimes visits him. Its always low key but I always know when he is visiting from the music. We'll just sit out on the porch and listen.
most folks here think he's a horses ass..

alacattleman":3plohwdd said:
Jogeephus":3plohwdd said:

I 2nd that. I grew up all around Randy, Teddy and Jeff. Matter fact was at Randy's Sat. for his Hereford sale. Back to Jeff, I was invited to a Chamber meeting and sat accross the table from Jeff and his wife during dinner. The man never said hello, now his wife was very nice. I guess its a good thing he plays the guitar as good as he does, because he has not social skills.

Auburn_Ag":1fhbc10j said:
alacattleman":1fhbc10j said:
Jogeephus":1fhbc10j said:

I 2nd that. I grew up all around Randy, Teddy and Jeff. Matter fact was at Randy's Sat. for his Hereford sale. Back to Jeff, I was invited to a Chamber meeting and sat accross the table from Jeff and his wife during dinner. The man never said hello, now his wife was very nice. I guess its a good thing he plays the guitar as good as he does, because he has not social skills.
randy and his sister and parents sang at my granddads funeral years ago... as far as they all go,, teddy is the down to earth one

dun":3ek8bbf9 said:
cypressfarms":3ek8bbf9 said:
Probably the best "real" players I've seen are Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn and now Keith Urban. These were/are "real" artists and don't disappoint.
Left out 2 of the greatest, Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed

Nope Dun, I didn't leave them out, I just haven't had the pleasure of seeing them play - I would love to though!

Jogeephus":3s80n6xr said:
Don't know Jeff as a person but I do have a lot of respect for his musical ability.
i understand that ,,, i could listen to merle all day long... but i dont know if i would want to hang out with him.. plus for some reason only the good LORD would know,,, he might not like me either
:cowboy: