Keeping current Knowledge on cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
How do yo keep up with current cattle prices?
The best way I have found is: numerous local cattle auctions (within 200 miles ) on their webpage will print their weekly sales report , giving weight , class and price.
I also check Cattle Range ( which has some good cattle) but the cattle seem to be priced 200 to 500 dollars above what the market price is. Seems to be a lot of traders who group like cattle of good quality. But when the cattle are sold back at the local auction you will only get market value which will take longer for the cow to be paid off, maybe one or two calves to make up the difference in price.

Cowboy43... look for the app "Cattle Market Mobile" and download it to your smartphone. You can check all prices on most sale yards (USDA) from any state. It is a great tool and I use it daily. It also reports the most important and current trends in the cattle market.

Two sale barns send out reports, via the mail each week. Not much different than what I find on line for those barns but there's probably still a whole lot of cattle folk out there who do not use computers.

It pays to stay on top of things. I pay attention to the market anyway.

We got killed at the Sale Barn last week. Their website says "Light run on cattle due to muddy conditions, not enough to test the market" and the last data I had to compare was from May 11th. Fortunately we only had a couple stragglers but ended up with 1.48 for a 465 lb heifer & 1.47 for a 650 lb steer, fully vaccinated & weaned 45 days; 5/11 averaged 1.55 respectively. There is another Sale Barn about an hour away but they don't post their sales.

TCRanch you did good. Futures were falling for most of the last week and a half and just rallied little the last few days of this week. Some places the market was down 15 cents this week. I bought some 360 lb heifers Saturday in the 1.30s

Ojp6":2ku2rg0q said:
TCRanch you did good. Futures were falling for most of the last week and a half and just rallied little the last few days of this week. Some places the market was down 15 cents this week. I bought some 360 lb heifers Saturday in the 1.30s

Thank you, good to know! I was really bummed because these were two very good looking, healthy calves. Wasn't sure if so few cattle at the sale would raise the bidding or cause it to tank for lack of competition.

Depends on the day. Some days less cattle means they will be high because buyers need a bunch so they have to buy all they can, some days they will be cheaper because the buyers won't buy any if they can't make a load.

TN Cattle Man":3ai6tgt1 said:
Cowboy43... look for the app "Cattle Market Mobile" and download it to your smartphone. You can check all prices on most sale yards (USDA) from any state. It is a great tool and I use it daily. It also reports the most important and current trends in the cattle market.
Great app. Everyone should have this at their finger tips.

Latest posts