Keeper or wheels

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I have never kept back any heifers due to using more of a terminal bull. Any potential with this 4 month old heifer?

heifers_003.jpg

Central Fl Cracker":2psunglp said:
I have never kept back any heifers due to using more of a terminal bull. Any potential with this 4 month old heifer?

heifers_003.jpg

ill come git her so ya dont hafta worry bout it.

It is unfortunate, but I would say you need the grass this would would consume just to keep the one in the background. Payday on this one is about two years down the trail. If she were standing in kneedeep grass, she would probably make a decent cow. Just my opinion.

Sorry Diesel, but I'll bet your pastures are pretty much in the same condition.

We are getting their fast ourselves.

Vett
We have had only 1" in 8 weeks. I was talking to an oldtimer Sat. and for us to be still putting out hay this time of year in unbelievable. :mad: Yea I could probably use this heifer in about 12 months but two long for me so I will probably sell her at weaning.

For as long as I can remember, it has been a severe drough in one part of the country while flooding in another part. Just have to make the best of things till it is your turn to have the wind at your back.

1982vett":p0ucuii9 said:
For as long as I can remember, it has been a severe drough in one part of the country while flooding in another part. Just have to make the best of things till it is your turn to have the wind at your back.

It all goes back to moderation and mother nature cant seem to do it either.

Jeff

Central Fl Cracker":ov0ak5af said:
dieselbeef
We finally got some rain so maybe I can afford to keep back some heifers this year. Are yall dry or getting some rain in the last few days?

mine look like yers do cracker. and i think its the best they have looked in probly 2 yrs. rains been comin lately. bout 4 '' last 2 weeks. its almost strange....funny huh. but its takin awhile cuz the grass is so short it doesnt hold any moisture and the sun bakes it right back out. but i see it comin...slowly.
i also put out my last roll of hay fathers day so it better git on comin!

Central Fl Cracker":tzde8wrj said:
We finally got 1" Sunday. :banana: :banana:

Question is, how long till the next? Looks like is splitting on both sides of you today.

We are at 21 days and counting since we had a 1/2 inch.

Don't mean to sound so negative.

I am watching the radar right now and it looks like I might get some more today. :banana:

marion_radar_640x480.jpg

I am due north of Umatilla which is about 5 miles. :banana: :banana:

that heifer is a keeper.but if your in a drought id sell her.an heres why because you dont have the hay an feed to grow her off.an it will be 2yrs before the calves.an 3yrs before you wean her calf.

I would say keep her, but as stated earlier because of the drought you are in she would have to go.

Latest posts