Keep or sell

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I've got about 30 calves to sell this cycle. Looking for advice. I know cattle prices are down and I'm not sure whether to hold on to them until the spring, meaning feeding them all winter, or just bite the bullet and sell them. The steers are in the 400-450 range. The heifers are probably in the 350-400 range. I've got hay right now, but feeding that many cows and calves will mean I will go through it quickly. Any ideas on what they are projecting for prices in March 2020?

AZAggie said:
I've got about 30 calves to sell this cycle. Looking for advice. I know cattle prices are down and I'm not sure whether to hold on to them until the spring, meaning feeding them all winter, or just bite the bullet and sell them. The steers are in the 400-450 range. The heifers are probably in the 350-400 range. I've got hay right now, but feeding that many cows and calves will mean I will go through it quickly. Any ideas on what they are projecting for prices in March 2020?

Are they weaned? I'd take them to the OKC sale if so.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
AZAggie said:
No, they are not weaned yet.
I'd wean em 60 days and then sell.
That's what I have been leaning towards. I'm not sure it is worth me holding on to them for another 5 months. Not sure if the cost of feed in the winter would be covered by the weight gain.

AZAggie said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
AZAggie said:
No, they are not weaned yet.
I'd wean em 60 days and then sell.
That's what I have been leaning towards. I'm not sure it is worth me holding on to them for another 5 months. Not sure if the cost of feed in the winter would be covered by the weight gain.

Probably won't.

I'd wean, feed, and medicate until the grazing runs out if you can't make yourself sell now. If that's 60 days, then that long but no longer. Hooves on the ground eat and they aren't money in the bank. Generally prices drop between now all the way though the mid-December to the new year when they bottom out.

we are weaning now everytime we we get a good day. Our calves are 6-7 months and most of the steers weighing over 6. We keep them up for 2-3 days and then turn out on grass with free choice wheat hay and alfalfa hay and cake every other day. They get 2 rounds of shots and on the Vita Ferm program. If wheat is available after 30 days they will be run on it for 2-4 weeks. If not they will be sold. We feed to grow not fatten. We have found it don't pay to hold them past 30 days if we have to feed them. Also many are predicting more than normal snow this winter so may need more hay for the cows.

Consider your tax situation. Do you need to take the income this year or would you be better off holding them until Jan/Feb? Or if the market rallies toward the end of the year you can sell them & have the check held until next year.

elkwc said:
we are weaning now everytime we we get a good day. Our calves are 6-7 months and most of the steers weighing over 6. We keep them up for 2-3 days and then turn out on grass with free choice wheat hay and alfalfa hay and cake every other day. They get 2 rounds of shots and on the Vita Ferm program. If wheat is available after 30 days they will be run on it for 2-4 weeks. If not they will be sold. We feed to grow not fatten. We have found it don't pay to hold them past 30 days if we have to feed them. Also many are predicting more than normal snow this winter so may need more hay for the cows.
You are in my area. We'll see if the weather actually happens this year. Not sure if I can handle much more. My place flooded twice in a month this spring.

I think I will go ahead and pull my oldest calves and wean them and sell. I'm probably going to hold them until mid January or early February.

If you need the money I'd sell if you can afford to hold them and have access to rather inexpensive hay or winter pasture hold em. If you need to sell some I'd let the steers go first hold the heifers. That's just what I would do

Can you leave them on mama for another month? Are you having to feed hay now?

Latest posts