Just wondering

Help Support CattleToday:

BSEAL

Reaction score
How much is a good beef cow i'm think of getting one to grow lol.We are in north florida.

alot depebds on the type of calf you get.an the weight of the callf heifer or steer.but it will cost you $400 to $600 for a calf maybe more.since most calves sale by the pound.scott

Where ya at in N. Florida? I can sell you something to raise for beef. I got em from about a week old to about 5 months.

Hello bseal
ditto to what bigbull says on direct animal cost.
I'll add what they cost depends on what you have.
Do you have confinement,water,shelter? Buckets,feed trough,syringes,needles,fly spray,bolus gun,rope,chains,etc.etc.
cows are like everything else it all the bling bling that costs.

Thanks so much for your help.We are in Jackson county FL.Now we just have to fix the area up we are going to put it.

BSEAL":1mw5tryu said:
How much is a good beef cow i'm think of getting one to grow lol.We are in north florida.

Great awesome and amazing advise so far, :) just would like to add my 2 cents. get two not one cattle are a herding critter. got one and he is going to go looking for a herd.

best of luck.

whatabull":13eoqjvk said:
BSEAL":13eoqjvk said:

Great awesome and amazing advise so far, :) just would like to add my 2 cents. get two not one cattle are a herding critter. got one and he is going to go looking for a herd.

best of luck.

Good advice....I would add...get two Murray Greys..... ;-) :cboy:

My first steers were angus cross. I got them at about 500 pounds each at around $1.00 a pound (at the time)and had them in a pen fenced with barb wire with cattle panels over that. The first time they spooked they were gone through all that. I had a ropin' buddy come and retrieve them for me. My advice is have a good pen and keep em' as calm as you can. The less comotion around cows the better. You will eventually get them so tame they will probably follow you into the trailer when that certain time comes. It's good eatin' Good luck.

Speaking of roping buddies. I had a neighbor that hired 3 guys with horses to come corral a Holstein cow he couldn't catch. I watched for about 30 minutes and they were already out there trying when I first noticed them. I watched as they tried cow whips and lariats. This was about 8 acres they were on. One guy could hardly stay on his horse, one guy could stay on but that was about all he could do. The third seemed to be the most experienced. They ran that poor cow ragged. I just sat there and watched and laughed to myself. It was funny, I guess you had to be there. What was more funny was every evening I would watch this poor cow walk up to the barn looking for food crossing into about a half acre corral area. I thought to myself, why not just wait till dusk, watch her walk in, then go close the gate behind her. I had rubbed her on the head through my fence several times. Sometimes the most obvious solutions go unnoticed.

I'm sure others here have witnessed similar happenings.

Latest posts