Just thinking how soft I'm getting.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
There's no doubt that my Dad worked harder than do. And supposedly my Grandpa worked harder than my Dad. I don't see how all that could be possible. My tail has been dragging because of the heat. But I have air conditioning in the house, and in my truck and in my tractor. They had none, I guess I'm just soft.

Bet neither of them were overweight either. I was raised without AC and did not have it in my truck until the 1990's. I too seem to be getting soft. Can hardly drink shine in this weather, notice I said hardly.

kenny thomas":3g228a03 said:
Bet neither of them were overweight either. I was raised without AC and did not have it in my truck until the 1990's. I too seem to be getting soft. Can hardly drink shine in this weather, notice I said hardly.
Ever notice when you're looking at old pictures you never see a fat person?? Not many smiles either but everybody is pretty lean.

TexasBred":2n406xwq said:
kenny thomas":2n406xwq said:
Ever notice when you're looking at old pictures you never see a fat person?? Not many smiles either but everybody is pretty lean.

High those people took in a lot of calories of good food and burnt them up working.
Today people work out.
Fast Food that is eaten now is not good for the waist line.
I don't remember any fat kids in school.
Now most of the kids and older you see today their BVD's spell Boulevard.

kenny thomas":3nk6bbfm said:
If you'd have lived here you would have had AC before the 90's. The trucks get about 120 in the sun. When you walk outside at 10 at night and the temp is 85 and the humidity is 85 you are sure thankful for it in the house too.
As far as overweight people when I think back or see pics of when we were in high school just back in the 80's no one was over weight except just a few that were just that way no matter what they did to loose. A lot of the kids then didn't do a whole lot of work either but we're still fit. Something is up with what we are eating now.
I don't eat any fast food but still eat whatever I want as far as real food, get up to 190 in the winter and I'm already in the 170's now. Actually down to my last hole in my belt and it's only June. And I've had to add two holes to the belt on the draw up side. Looks like I'll have to add another.

Funny how this went from how hard our fathers and grandfathers worked to vitriol about overweight people.

To bring it back around, while our past generations worked physically harder, the average American worker today produces more product now than in the past, due to technology not unlike AC. Today, more of the profits from that increased production goes to the management and rich investors than the workers.

My Dad started his employment as an aeronatical engineer after the war hand drawing blueprints. Took months or more to finish some. Now, those same technical drawings are done on computers in a matter of days or weeks. Dad retired from that same employer 30+ years later with a decent retirement. Not many can do that today unless it's a government job.

gimpyrancher":193jhy1x said:
To bring it back around, while our past generations worked physically harder, the average American worker today produces more product now than in the past, due to technology not unlike AC. Today, more of the profits from that increased production goes to the management and rich investors than the workers.
And this is exactly why I think management and investors should get a larger portion of the profits. Actually the "workers" are never guaranteed any of the profits unless they have a contract that reflects it. Betcha if more people had to work with their salary based on profits you'd see some harder working people or a bunch of lazy a$$ people quitting !!

jedstivers":3kxfl6lo said:
kenny thomas":3kxfl6lo said:
If you'd have lived here you would have had AC before the 90's. The trucks get about 120 in the sun. When you walk outside at 10 at night and the temp is 85 and the humidity is 85 you are sure thankful for it in the house too.
As far as overweight people when I think back or see pics of when we were in high school just back in the 80's no one was over weight except just a few that were just that way no matter what they did to loose. A lot of the kids then didn't do a whole lot of work either but we're still fit. Something is up with what we are eating now.
I don't eat any fast food but still eat whatever I want as far as real food, get up to 190 in the winter and I'm already in the 170's now. Actually down to my last hole in my belt and it's only June. And I've had to add two holes to the belt on the draw up side. Looks like I'll have to add another.

I grew up with no ac in Highlands Texas, about 30 minutes East of downtown Houston. Walked in to my first ac house when I was 23 and in the military.

heat? yep.
Humidity--it's the Houston area--infamous for humidity.
We had a large fan mounted in the wall that blew out into the garage/shop. At night everyone opened their bedroom window just a few inches, and a breeze blew thru each bedroom making it tolerable. Daytime, the bedroom windows were shut, and the front door and kitchen windows opened. It wasn't all that bad.

I often wondered as a kid why the men had put those slow moving ceiling fans that the blades barely moved in
the old high ceiling Baptist church. They sure didn't cool anything off.
All we had was an attic fan. Schools, Church, houses, nothing had A/C.
Never could get my head wrapped around everyone covered in sweat and wanting a cup of coffee either.
Break out the ice tea or water IMO.

Caustic Burno":f77ds295 said:
I often wondered as a kid why the men had put those slow moving ceiling fans that the blades barely moved in
Never could get my head wrapped around everyone covered in sweat and wanting a cup of coffee either.
CB every once in a while one of those old fans would hit and kill a dirt dobber. :lol2:

I grew up in a house with a whole house fan. It was in the hallway from the living room to the bedrooms and when my Dad turned that on, you better be hanging on. Obviously a bit of exaggeration but I put in the same type in my house in town. I would come home from work at 5 p.m. turn the big fan on for 10 minutes and then the AC. Saved me a lot of money. We had 98 in the shade yesterday. I worked outside for the morning. Little chores like round up and weed eating and such. I was beat at noon.

TexasBred":2h56ta8h said:
Caustic Burno":2h56ta8h said:
CB every once in a while one of those old fans would hit and kill a dirt dobber. :lol2:

It had to be a senior citizen dirt dobber to do any damage.

Latest posts