Just some pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Its been extremely dry here and the grass hasn't done too well. The first two pics are of a little experiment I did using rape. I didn't harrow it in but planted millet on top of it and the dying rye. Turned out pretty decent I thought. Especially given that it is has been 98 degrees the last couple of days.
millet6.jpg

millet4.jpg

If you look on the horizon you can see the brown color of the perenial grass the have been grazing. Its pathetic and we sure could use some rain.(Which, coincidently, we just started to get. :banana: )

millet3.jpg

millet2.jpg

millet.jpg

This of course is Bertha - my lebanese cow - I think she is wondering when the cucumbers will be ready.

millet7.jpg

Hey Joe! I like the looks of those fat and sassy cows you got there :nod: Looks like you got the forage figured out :nod: Looks GOOD.

3waycross":3fhxz6bz said:
Lebaneese cow????/

:lol2: Its a pun from the past. She is a milk stealer and likes to find other lactating cows and create a circle of love. Probably should change her number to 69. :oops: I know I should cull her but she actually intercepted a brangus that was fixing to pen me against the wall of the corral when I accidently walked between her and her calf. She flat out charged it and hit it broadside to prevent it from squashing me. :shock: Might just have been a coincidence but it was much appreciated. I've since moved her and use her as a lead cow to teach the young ones some manners. She is good at this.

Mnm, I think you would be impressed with how the deer turkey have taken to this forage. This is the first year I tried the rape and it sure did fill in a grazing void this spring.

Glad you told us that was rape those cows were grazing. I thought they had gotten into your turnip green patch. :lol: Great looking cows too. :tiphat:

Jogeephus,

I'm not sure I follow you, but I'm assuming you planted the rye and rape together last fall and then followed with the millet this spring? If so, could you tell me the approximate planting dates? Also, what advantage do you think adding the rape to the rye had? Did it extend your grazing time?

Good looking stuff there Jo.
I always wondered what rape looked like. Read about it in an old book the hubby's grandmother kept. They mainly talked about putting hogs on it though.

ILHerf's, I can see where a hog would like it. Its got a pretty good root on it. I meant to boil some myself to see what it was like. I ate some raw and it tasted kinda like mustard greens.

Gberry, check your pm I sent you some info. I got a little wordy. :oops:

Latest posts