Just so you know

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my mountain bike in to stash it where we hunt elk. Deer season is open but about to close and I still had a tag to fill. I took my new little 7x57 with just in case I ran into a suicidal buck. Well I ran into him. He stood there looing at me for 5 minutes while I debated shooting him. He wasn't very big and a long ways from the truck. I was huffing a puffing pretty hard from packing the bike up the hill. But it was all down hill to the truck. The kids wanted meat. And I did have this new rifle which I hadn't shot anything with and after five minutes I wasn't puffing anymore...... just wanted to let you know that a 7X57 will kill a deer. And do a fine job of it too.

The boys always tell me if I shoot something they will come pack it out for me. They were noticeable by their absence. My 63 year old legs are feeling it right now.

I'm going to guess black tail? Deep South you got to go way up on the Pacific Crest for mule deer and clean on over the hump for whitetail.

Good job Dave ,your legs are 9 years older than mine, and I'm sure plate tectonics has affected the area where I hunt in Montana its way steeper then it was 25 years ago our legs ache so bad last night it was hard to sleep.

It was a blacktail. I was in the Willapa Hills. We use to have a nice trail up through some timber that took you to a road 4 miles behind a gate. They logged the timber this last summer. So much for the trail. Now it is about half a mile of slash to go through. It is steep enough to make me huff and puff going up but coming down with half a deer on a pack board was sure hard on the thighs. Dang kids anyway..... I could have called the guy who has a key that hauled my elk out last year. But I figured I would save that favor for when I really need it next week.

Good deal. I know the pause. Came up on a big buck deep in swamp last year and I had a long thought about the drag and decided it was mutually beneficial to both of us if I didn't shoot

Jogeephus":1caygvhf said:
Good deal. I know the pause. Came up on a big buck deep in swamp last year and I had a long thought about the drag and decided it was mutually beneficial to both of us if I didn't shoot
Funny, we used to hunt in some lava fields in northern ca. When we would see a buck the decision had to be made if he was too small or too big. Too small and it wasn;t worth the effort of carrying it out, dragging would wear the hide through to the meat. If it was just a normal (fairly big) had to decide if it was big enough to be worth while the multiple trips to haul it out on a pack frame. Real big was no brainer, that was worth while. I preferred the just right size. The kind you could tie his legs together to make a large handle and just throw it on your shoulder and carry it out.