Just pulled a dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Its 38 deg. and raining here and I was suppose to be somewhere 2 and a half hours ago so I quess there was no time better to have a problem at the farm. I was feeding and noticed one of my cows attempting to calf so I proceeded out to her to check everthing out and I just thought I was cold by the time I got there, well there was a nose sticking out of her with a tounge stretched out so I knew the fate of the newborn. After a grueling herding over about 30 acres I got her in the squeeze shoot and was able to get one hoof up under the nose but couldn't find the other one for the word and never could. I assumed it was running long ways down the left side of the body so I tied bailing twine around the one hoof and another around the neck and then around an axe handle. I pulled with everything I had and couldn't get it out. Long story short had to call someone to operate my 4-wheeler while I pulled down at the same to get it out. I've been beating myself up over not being there earlier BUT HAS ANYONE EVERE BEEN ABLE TO GET A CALF OUT ALIVE THAT WAS POSITIONED LIKE THIS. I mean it was so hung up the hard part of the hoof came off while I was pulling and I know I would of not got the calf out alive.

It's hard, but generally you can get the calf pushed back far enough to get the other foot in the correct position. Twine is too small in diameter to use for pulling, chain, straps or even 1/4 inch cotton rope is preferable. The rope/strap/chain needs to be positioned high enough on the leg that it's well above the dew claws. Not being critical, just explaining

dun

As Dun said, you need to push the calf back down inside. It will take two arms, one pushing & one fishing for the leg.
Also, when you have a hard pull, be sure to rotate the calf so the hips are coming thru at a 45 degree angle. You can put a cane between their legs (well - if you had two legs) and twist them until you see the body turn. In your case, you could put the cane between the head & leg - just something to get leverage to rotate the calf.

It happens Rod. Don't beat yourself up over it. I lost one last week myself.

my dad uses what looks to me just like a dog choke chain

pulled one last week that was huge and he has no ill effects

Just because the tongue is stuck out doesn't mean the calf is dead. Don't beat your self up over it, you did what you could. How is the cow?

When Annie posted the calf presentation chart there a while back the one leg back was the one that made me cringe.

I had same thing only calf was still alive. No room to get a hand in to get the other hoove and I couldn't push the head back in by myself. I called the vet and again even with both of us pushing no way was the head budging ( swelling? ).

So cutting the calf's head off and pushing it back in was an option.

I chose another option offered by the vet, lost em both, but didn't even get hamburger.

Not too many of us can be there 24 hous a day for them, as a matter of fact there are probably hundreds calving right now that haven't seen a human in days.

I don't have a puller, but have access to one. I am biting the bullet and getting me one. Especially since I rarely have help available.

It is darn frustrating though.

If you have livestock you're gonna have deadstock!

it harder to reposition the calf when the cow has been pushing a while. you have to push every thing back while she pushing againts you . but push it back and run your hand down the leg and cup your hand under the hoof and bring it foward . this position is actually easier than most can come. i lost a calf to a breech birth a few weeks ago that was a mother scratcher

You can't always be there at the right time, unless you've got 24/7 to devote to your herd. It sounds like you did the best that you could do under the circumstances. Those things happen.

It is very hard to reposition after the cow has been pushing for awhile. We've had this presentation before, so when I see a cow in labor the first thing I look for is two feet. Of course one is generally back farther, but if it looks suspicious, we'll sleeve her and make sure.

The worse presentation I've ever had was with the head back. What a nightmare! Three of us plus a vet. Actually got the calf out and she and the cow both lived, but it was touch and go for awhile. We didn't think we'd EVER get it out.

Cows doing fine, I cleaned her out last night and put some bolices up in her and followed it up with lA200. Plan on giving her two more rounds before turning her out. I turned and twisted the calf six ways from sunday, just wasn't able to get things lined up right. I would hate to go through that with a live calf . I was a degree or two from hypotherma and wouldn't you know i used my last set of shoulder gloves skinning a deer last november, and oh yea the smell, forgot to mention it!

yes, rod its doable. like sidney said, tongue out doesnt necessarily mean dead calf. i pulled one out in the pasture like that last fall. Half of his head was so swollen by the time i found him i thought he was surely dead. but was able to get the foot up. somehow. not long after had another one with a nose showing! man, did that suck. getting legs up. but he lived too. both had tongues hanging out.
It sounds like you couldnt get the leg up so you just pulled it. if thats the case you may want to watch her for prolapse. might have torn the cervix. been there seen that.

dun":36anb38l said:
It's hard, but generally you can get the calf pushed back far enough to get the other foot in the correct position. Twine is too small in diameter to use for pulling, chain, straps or even 1/4 inch cotton rope is preferable. The rope/strap/chain needs to be positioned high enough on the leg that it's well above the dew claws. Not being critical, just explaining

dun

I have been using sisal square baler twine for 30 years. It's plenty big in diameter. He wasn't using round baler twine was he?

Latest posts