Just needed to vent

Help Support CattleToday:

mbdexter

Reaction score
Hello

I just needed to take a moment to vent ! Well I just had my first set of twins born and I would have to agree with everything that I have read that I do not like twins. I came home from work and thought that I had two different cows calve but it worked out to be twins. The worst part one of the calves started nursing off another cows that has not calved as of yet and she was letting it nurse.

Now I have the cows seperated and both calves are in with the mother and just waiting to see if they start nuring. Both calves look like they must have nursed because they were fill of life and there tummies felt very full and both were very alert.

Even this morning both calves were still very alert ! Just hopping that I do not end up with some bottle calves. Just needed to vent.

When I had twins out of a heifer I ended up selling one of them the male and letting someone else bottle feed the calf.

Same sex twins out of a cow with plenty of milk is a good thing. Free Martins and rejected calves is a bad thing.

Sounds like your twins are doing fine. Sometimes twins don't work out so good.

As long as you can keep the cow and calves penned and feed the cow to make additional milk production, they should be fine. You may have to wean them a little early because they'll grow beyond her milk production, but it sounds like you have a good start anyway!

Good luck

Well it is now the start of day three and both calves seem to be doing pretty good.

So we will be keeping a close eye on them.

Hello

The twins are dexter calves and there were two heifers. It looks like both will be dun calves. I will try to get some pictures as soon as possible.

Latest posts