...just getting a little antsy...

Help Support CattleToday:

She is quite a bit happier now for sure.

Tonight is her first out in the pasture with mama. We checked --- normal nose, warm mouth, vigorous. Mooing at us and following my wife and I around -- not sure if she's figured out that mama is packing lunch or not.

Tomorrow will be full-on surveillance checking for nursing.

Touchdown -- she's nursing!

I'm very thankful mama stuck with my wife and I while we helped her get her daughter through the last couple of days.

The best part is that she went to nursing without anything fancier than just spending time with mama.

She's up and at 'em well enough now that she followed the big cows about 150 yards over to a different part of the pasture. I'm hoping that is a good sign of no permanent damage to get rear legs.

WalnutCrest":35xj7k2n said:
Touchdown -- she's nursing!

I'm very thankful mama stuck with my wife and I while we helped her get her daughter through the last couple of days.
What a good mamma! :clap: Very happy for you!

Great job! Isn't it nice to see it all work out, I am still convinced that some of these calves are born to live or die lol. So glad this little girl hung in there and took to mom!

Update -- today is 'day six' -- I snapped this on my way to town this morning.

WCCC_Begonia_-_07_-_2014_02_11.JPG

Note there is a round bale down a small hill not more than 30 yards away ... they'd rather knock the snow out of the way and graze.

The little one is learning good stuff from her mama.

Well, it looks like she's going to lose about 1/4 to 1/2 of both her ears... That and her rear left leg is still a little weak ... and her rear right hoof-area is still swollen. She's still making her way around the pasture and nursing pretty well. Mama is still doing a good job.

Not sure what to make of her left leg and her rear right hoof, though. I guess we'll know in the next week or two whether or not she's going to keep either/both of those hooves... She's sure acting like she will ... and while we're really hoping she will ... it's still a little early to know for sure.

WalnutCrest":287rgsmf said:
Well, it looks like she's going to lose about 1/4 to 1/2 of both her ears... That and her rear left leg is still a little weak ... and her rear right hoof-area is still swollen. She's still making her way around the pasture and nursing pretty well. Mama is still doing a good job.

Not sure what to make of her left leg and her rear right hoof, though. I guess we'll know in the next week or two whether or not she's going to keep either/both of those hooves... She's sure acting like she will ... and while we're really hoping she will ... it's still a little early to know for sure.

hence the dock at the salebarn for frozen ears. There can sure be other areas involved.

Latest posts