Just a thought

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that 2 of the most important abilities for farming (which includes making hay) are the ability to plan thoroughly and to make changes to plans on the fly. Our AI breeding season has been screwy, and from talking to others it's a pretty common problem this year. A cow/heifer will act like she's coming into heat and a couple of hours later will show no signs of heat or interest in riding. The vet has heard this as a pretty common occurence this year. And this is from experienced AI people. Tomorrow we'll be turning the planned AI candidates in with the bull, that will be just over 2 weeks earlier then usual.
When it comes to hay, Ol Ma Nature has thrown us another curveball this year. Similar to a couple of years ago when the cut hay would be almost cured and ready to bale and then a downpour would hit and screw that plan. Tomorrow I'll be checking into getting the hay wrapped and hoping that it will dry enough to allow that. The other option is like we had to do before, ted the stuff once a day for a week just to keep it from rotting then bale it when we finally hit a couple of dry days. The WLs last sunday said no rain till saturday. They gradually moved it up. Rained yesterday and they;re calling for a chance of rain everyday for the next week EXCEPT saturday.
Dam, this farming is fun!

Dun: I was extremely surprised that Kris had her hay mowed late Monday and rolled yesterday. I think the storm that hit you went north of her. I know her stand was low volume. I cannot get mine cured but looks like we got a couple days that I might make some progress. I am doing what you do. I ted it daily.

inyati13":3ke1tx48 said:
Dun: I was extremely surprised that Kris had her hay mowed late Monday and rolled yesterday. I think the storm that hit you went north of her. I know her stand was low volume. I cannot get mine cured but looks like we got a couple days that I might make some progress. I am doing what you do. I ted it daily.
The crap that hit us missed the other farm. 6 miles SE of here. The hay volume is really high this year, that's why it's taking so long to cure. All around us there are a lot of acres of hay down, most was cut sunday or monday. Only one guy baled his so far. He cut on sunday, baled on monday and now he has a lot of expensive ash. Stuff was so wet and hot that it is just smoldering.

I'm seeing some pretty strange things in heat cycles here too--mostly coming in heat, getting bred, then coming back in a week later. Got one that seems to be in perpetual heat--and I mean every day--I need to get her preg checked and/or culled.

greybeard":2471s033 said:
I'm seeing some pretty strange things in heat cycles here too--mostly coming in heat, getting bred, then coming back in a week later. Got one that seems to be in perpetual heat--and I mean every day--I need to get her preg checked and/or culled.

I think a cow can have a cyst on her ovary that can cause them to do as you describe.

hurleyjd":14ipuzhc said:
greybeard":14ipuzhc said:

I think a cow can have a cyst on her ovary that can cause them to do as you describe.
Yup, that will do it! I think a shot of GnRH fixes it. It's been a loooong time since I had that problem and the memory sucks nowadays

dun":18dp7orq said:
inyati13":18dp7orq said:
The crap that hit us missed the other farm. 6 miles SE of here. The hay volume is really high this year, that's why it's taking so long to cure. All around us there are a lot of acres of hay down, most was cut sunday or monday. Only one guy baled his so far. He cut on sunday, baled on monday and now he has a lot of expensive ash. Stuff was so wet and hot that it is just smoldering.
Was he planning to wrap it, or just wanted to get it off the ground?

Lazy M":1us3frkx said:
dun":1us3frkx said:
inyati13":1us3frkx said:
Was he planning to wrap it, or just wanted to get it off the ground?
I have no idea. Never seen wrapped hay at his place in the past.